Old 07-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Caught-Napping

Default [IBC] Wisteria tree collect now?

(William Valavanis) wrote in
:

Now is the best time to dig Wisteria from the ground (both wild and in
gardens) in temperate areas of North America. My Wisteria are JUST
beginning to show vegetative bud movement.

Based on the long and very successful experience of Marc Torppa, of
the Growing Grounds in North Carolina it is best to reduce the height
AND dig the Wisteria at the same time. I have many of his collected
Wisteria (actually his best specimens) and have even seen blossoms the
FIRST season after collecting, with no visible buds at all.

I live in N.C.

The stuff grows all over the place, like Kudzu. I have seriously been
thinking about pulling off the shoulder of the highway and digging up
some for Bonsai material. I doubt anyone will object.

How much root should I dig? Is it difficult to root a cutting?