Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Curious Copperhead

mypet said:

I have been looking for some rubber boots and I have a question. How
tall should the shaft of the boot be? Another question: what is the
procedure to follow to treat a snakebite while transporting the victim
to the hospital? When I was young the thing to do was cut it and suck
the venom and I think that I have read that you should not do that.

According to Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) who I think would have
a good reason to be up on the appropriate first aid routine:

Have the victim lie down, remain calm and quiet

Wrap the effected limb with elastic bandage, or strips of clothing

Imobilize the limb with a splint.

Get them to a medical center for treatment with antivenom ASAP (for
many of us, that would mean calling emergency, 911)

Of course, most of the biters in Australia will have cobra-type venom (more
nervous-system effects) rather than viper-type (which has a lot of localized
tissue-destroying effect). In America, that would be the other way around;
we only have one poisonous snake that isn't a viper, the coral snake. What's
most appropriate in Australia might need to be altered for the USA.

(no torniquet, no cutting, no sucking, no whiskey -- the old-time advice is trash)

Having watched another show about emergency room treatment of
assorted snake-bite victims, the most important thing to do with
snake-bite victims is to get them to an appropriately equipped
emergency room as quickly as possible.

(I watch a lot of Animal Planet, obviously!)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)