Old 05-05-2003, 02:20 AM
mypet

Default Curious Copperhead

I have read all the posts that snakes have as much right to be here as
us and that they are helpful in keeping down the rodent population and
I suppose that's true. I have read about leaving snakes alone and
they will avoid humans.
Now, THAT, I am finding not to be true. I have been out in the middle
of our yard twice only to look up and find a copperhead coming to keep
me company. Mind you, this is not in the wooded areas, but in the
neatly trimmed and no shrubbery part of the yard. I was just spading
and turning over some soil. No machinery running, no water running
and no rodents at my feet for bait. My apologies to the
herpetologists, but I felt assassination of the offender was the best
route to take.
Why is this happening? What would make a snake want to hang out with
the shovel-wielding gardener? What can I do to keep it from happening
again? Has anyone on the list ever ascertained that sulfur and
mothballs really work in keeping them away? If so, what is the recipe
for the mix?
On the rodent thing, we have a large hawk and cat population here so
that I would think the rodent population is being maintained rather
well. The hawks are so effective that I have never seen a rabbit here
in 12 years. The hawks were driving me crazy, but I have come to enjoy
their company as long as they aren't swooping at me during nesting
season. The snake and I will never reach such an understanding, so
suggestions are very welcome.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Phisherman

On 4 May 2003 18:16:31 -0700, (mypet) wrote:

[...]

Copperheads are common in my lawn, and I live in the middle of the
city. There are also rat snakes, much larger than copperheads, which
eat them. I've seen a rat snake under my deck, well over 6 feet
long. Copperheads can kill a dog or child, but it can certainly make
an adult sick. The venom is not particularly potent. Just make sure
you look before you step, and don't put your hand into or under
anything where you havn't looked first.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:44 PM
mypet

What kind of gardening boots have you found to be the most comfy? It
looks like I will be needing some. So, the sulfur thing really
doesn't do anything?

It might be mating season and they see your garden as thier nesting
ground. Wear boots, always. I spent many days in the country in 100+
degrees, wearing short shorts, a halter top, and boots!

Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Denise

Living in Australia where I think we have 7 out of the 10 deadliest snakes I
find it's always handy to have a long shovel nearby just in case. I don't
see as many as I used to now that we have dogs, but we are near a river and
we often find that snakes just pass through on their way to the water. The
Eastern Brown snake is common where I live - very dangerous and quite
deadly - there was a news article a while ago about a little boy being
bitten on the heel by one, and the only thing that saved him was the fact
that he had never worn shoes and his feet were as hard as a rock!

Denise

om...

Old 06-05-2003, 04:20 PM
mypet

I have been looking for some rubber boots and I have a question. How
tall should the shaft of the boot be? Another question: what is the
procedure to follow to treat a snakebite while transporting the victim
to the hospital? When I was young the thing to do was cut it and suck
the venom and I think that I have read that you should not do that.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Susan K. Wehe

Apply ice, keep the limb elevated and have someone call ahead to make
sure the anti venom is there on on it's way.

susan

Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

mypet said:

I have been looking for some rubber boots and I have a question. How
tall should the shaft of the boot be? Another question: what is the
procedure to follow to treat a snakebite while transporting the victim
to the hospital? When I was young the thing to do was cut it and suck
the venom and I think that I have read that you should not do that.

According to Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) who I think would have
a good reason to be up on the appropriate first aid routine:

Have the victim lie down, remain calm and quiet

Wrap the effected limb with elastic bandage, or strips of clothing

Imobilize the limb with a splint.

Get them to a medical center for treatment with antivenom ASAP (for
many of us, that would mean calling emergency, 911)

Of course, most of the biters in Australia will have cobra-type venom (more
nervous-system effects) rather than viper-type (which has a lot of localized
tissue-destroying effect). In America, that would be the other way around;
we only have one poisonous snake that isn't a viper, the coral snake. What's
most appropriate in Australia might need to be altered for the USA.

(no torniquet, no cutting, no sucking, no whiskey -- the old-time advice is trash)

Having watched another show about emergency room treatment of
assorted snake-bite victims, the most important thing to do with
snake-bite victims is to get them to an appropriately equipped
emergency room as quickly as possible.

(I watch a lot of Animal Planet, obviously!)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 09-05-2003, 06:44 PM
madgardener

specifically, after reading on the internet about Tennessee snakes of which
the copperhead is one after the encounter I had at Lowes last year with the
snake I removed for them.............copperheads are the ONLY snakes that
are CURIOUS. It's their nature. DOn't know why, but that's what the site
said about them............hate you had to off him/her, but don't blame you
because of his poisonious nature. And he/she was also responsible for
removal of rodents and such. The only threat to a copperhead is a black
snake. Learned that on the website too....................I tend to like all
my critters around here, but a rattler or copperhead is something I wouldn't
want because I have the occaisonal visitation of grandchildren...........but
I have a resident black snake now so hopefully my small woods are cleared of
the copper beauties now.
madgardener
"mypet" wrote in message
om...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Copperhead(less) 3Putt in Coastal SC Garden Photos 0 18-09-2012 02:48 AM
Just Curious Iris Cohen Plant Science 12 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
nice post, but curious Bob A Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
nice post, but curious Bob A Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 13-03-2003 03:20 PM
Just curious, for now Ted Byers Orchids 4 15-02-2003 10:27 PM