Old 07-05-2003, 02:32 PM
whit

Default Wildflower seed harvesting?

Yikes, I was kind of afraid of that, these poppies are 3' tall and
plentyful!

I bought some native grass seed recently, some tall stuff. I was
thinking about throwing that out with a bit of new topsoil after mowing.
Hoping to get the prairie land grasses in summer and fall then
wildflowers the other times. Are my hopes conflicting with reality?

This is a small piece of earth, maybe 25 x 40 feet, probably smaller.

Thanks

animaux wrote:

First you'll have to deal with a dead looking area. The seed must ripen on the
plant, while it's in the ground. That means, the whole plant must stay in place
till everything is very dry and brittle.

Then, mow it.

On Wed, 07 May 2003 11:58:01 GMT, Whit wrote:

Last fall I planted a bunch of seed from Wildseed farms in the front
yard, it's been a glorious spring with all sorts of flowers, poppies,
mexican hat, indian blanket, bluebonnets and a few others I don't know
the name of blooming for the past few months.

Anyway I'm wondering about the best way to harvest some seeds for next
fall. I'm thinking I'll just go around an snip the heads off and put
them in a paper bag, but then I wonder if I should pull the plant up and
hang them upside down to dry.

What do yall think?

Thanks