Old 07-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Whit

Default Wildflower seed harvesting?

Last fall I planted a bunch of seed from Wildseed farms in the front
yard, it's been a glorious spring with all sorts of flowers, poppies,
mexican hat, indian blanket, bluebonnets and a few others I don't know
the name of blooming for the past few months.

Anyway I'm wondering about the best way to harvest some seeds for next
fall. I'm thinking I'll just go around an snip the heads off and put
them in a paper bag, but then I wonder if I should pull the plant up and
hang them upside down to dry.

What do yall think?

Thanks

Old 07-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 07 May 2003 11:58:01 GMT, Whit wrote:

Last fall I planted a bunch of seed from Wildseed farms in the front

(snipped)
Anyway I'm wondering about the best way to harvest some seeds for next
fall.

Well, you could also just wait until June and mow it and let nature
fend for herself. See what comes up next spring and supplement with
additional seeds as necessary for the following spring.

Whether these seeds will survive better in a bag or on the ground is
not really determinable in my opinion.

Rusty Mase

Old 07-05-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

First you'll have to deal with a dead looking area. The seed must ripen on the
plant, while it's in the ground. That means, the whole plant must stay in place
till everything is very dry and brittle.

Then, mow it.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:32 PM
whit

Yikes, I was kind of afraid of that, these poppies are 3' tall and
plentyful!

I bought some native grass seed recently, some tall stuff. I was
thinking about throwing that out with a bit of new topsoil after mowing.
Hoping to get the prairie land grasses in summer and fall then
wildflowers the other times. Are my hopes conflicting with reality?

This is a small piece of earth, maybe 25 x 40 feet, probably smaller.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 07 May 2003 13:58:35 GMT, whit .*ork wrote:

Yikes, I was kind of afraid of that, these poppies are 3' tall and
plentyful!

Just an observation, but I do not think the poppies will reseed well.
So supplementing those each year may be called for.

Rusty Mase

Old 07-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Texensis

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
| On Wed, 07 May 2003 13:58:35 GMT, whit .*ork wrote:
|
| Yikes, I was kind of afraid of that, these poppies are 3' tall and
| plentyful!
|
| Just an observation, but I do not think the poppies will reseed
well.
| So supplementing those each year may be called for.
|
| Rusty Mase

snip

Corn/Flanders poppies return to some extent for us, but others, no
matter what the type, don't do much either by reseeding or by our
saving seeds and sowing them later, so we begin anew.