Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Zizz

Default Spanish broom questions

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 21:09:37 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

I've a spanish broom that's about 5ft tall and about as wide that I'm a

bit
worried about.
One of its three main branches became a bit top heavy toward the end of

last
year and I've had to stake it for support but I was a bit late in doing

that
and the whole plant is now leaning over to one side a bit.
What I'd like to do is replant it (in the same spot) so that it's more
upright and am worried that now is the wrong time as it's just starting

show it's buds for this years first bloom and the scent is georgeous as

well
as the stunning display of bright yellow pea-like flowers.
Does anyone know when the best time would be to re-plant my spanish broom

as
I only got it last year and don't want to loose it!

RHS A-Z Encyclopedia confirms Janet's comments about transplanting the
common broom, cytisus ('...they resent transplanting'). However, they
don't make any similar comment for Spanish broom, Spartium juniceum,
so you might get away with it. But they also say that to renovate
older specimens, cut back to the ground in spring, which suggests it
tolerates hard pruning, so moving it may not be necessary.

--
Chris

Apologies for the late reply .... Pruning back down to the ground would mean
cutting into old wood and I read that it's not something to do!
The plant is about 5 feet tall of which 2 1/2 ft is old wood ... it's now
got its spring buds on ... I think I'll see how summer goes and when it
seems to have died down a bit (it flowered 2x last year .. spring and early
autumn) to try and re-seat it with a good helping of bonemeal by way of
apologies.