Old 07-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Help :A monster in my maple

what do you mean by illegal ? :-) I bought it in a legal importer

I meant the stuff you poured in the bore hole. There are laws for
pesticide use that are there mainly to keep you from poisoning
yourself or the environment. you said you used :
some copper sulphate mix with water added 1 drop of Veralin D that
kills many sleeping larvaes ( I hope this host too) and jnjected in
the hole of the trunk , pumped in and out

Veralin D appears to be diazanon; I have no idea if it is legal to
inject it wherever you are (where are you, anyway?). In New York
State, whose regulations I am familiar with, there is no legal
insecticide for injection. But these regulations are not enforced
for ordinary people, so don't worry about being arrested; in NY, if
*I* advised something (I am a certified pesticide applicator), I
would be liable, and would be fined.

I cut it away and afterword I
realized that the * borer* carved partially around the root
under it probably
he strated from there

I have a apricot that was badly damaged by a plum borer; I poked the
little monster out and the tree will be fine (plum borers can only
lay eggs on open wounds, so if I'm careful pruning, I won't have a
recurrence). Once you get rid of a borer infestation, it's just a
matter of determining if the tree is still aesthetically pleasing.
My apricot looks awful, and is no longer bonsai material.

Horrid but I have not a mesh sack.. do they come out at night ?

The thing about longhorn beetles is that they are very large and very
sluggish. Walter Pall told a story of someone who found his cat
playing with a beetle that had just emerged. If you have them,
you'll probably see them. How big are the holes in the tree?
Longhorn beetle leave exit holes that are larger than the diameter of
a pencil; if your holes are smaller than that, don't worry. I'm
worrying because in New York the beetle has spread, and we have an
environmental catastrophe and no money (after 9/11) to eradicate the
beetle. The you notice it, the better the chances of stopping it.
It has been most commonly seen emerging from packing crate wood used
to ship goods from China, but the second most common means of spread
is from bonsai imported from China.

I wish I could tell you exactly what borer you have, but there are
several that attack maples, and I don't even know what continent you
are living on. Best of luck!
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD