Old 07-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Help :A monster in my maple

Hi
This is a crazy story

I'm beginning to expect that from you, Theo.

Your maple had a borer. Whatever you did was probably illegal, and
probably did no good, since by the time you see the sawdust from a
borer, the damage is pretty much done. Poking into the hole with a
long metal wire will shishkabob the varmint: that's what I would do.

There is essentially nothing you can do to prevent borers: the
female insects lay the eggs without feeding, so insecticides won't
deter them. Systemic fungicides won't get into wood, only living
tree tissue, so they can control bark feeders, but not wood borers.
The only thing you can do is keep your trees healthy: borers are
attracted to the smell of distressed trees. Your trees, bought at a
supermarket nursery, are surely trees that have led a stressful life.

However, I have an important job for you: Put some kind of mesh
around that tree and catch whatever is coming out. I worry that it
might be the oriental longhorn beetle, which (here in the US) would
be emerging right now. You'll know it if you see it: It's a gigantic
black and white beetle with 3-inch long antennae. If you find any,
contact the authorities as quickly as possible.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Theo

HI Nina

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Hi
This is a crazy story

I'm beginning to expect that from you, Theo.

LOl!

Your maple had a borer. Whatever you did was probably illegal,

what do you mean by illegal ? :-) I bought it in a legal importer

and
probably did no good, since by the time you see the sawdust from a
borer, the damage is pretty much done. Poking into the hole with a
long metal wire will shishkabob the varmint: that's what I would do.

done but I could not see any trace of crushed sticky matter attached to the wire

The only thing you can do is keep your trees healthy: borers are
attracted to the smell of distressed trees. Your trees, bought at a
supermarket nursery, are surely trees that have led a stressful life.

well the roots pad is very good and manylong hair looking roots
the branches has been badly chopped, nearby the hole I found the roots has been
badly chopped and many many new had pushed ,,, I cut it away and afterword I
realized that the * borer* carved partially around the root under it probably
he strated from there

However, I have an important job for you: Put some kind of mesh
around that tree and catch whatever is coming out. I worry that it
might be the oriental longhorn beetle, which (here in the US) would
be emerging right now. You'll know it if you see it: It's a gigantic
black and white beetle with 3-inch long antennae. If you find any,
contact the authorities as quickly as possible.

Horrid but I have not a mesh sack.. do they come out at night ? I ut a wire
inside the hole
I do no think that might be so big the beetle the hole can be 3 mm diameter
and the stuff I put is poisonous ( I did not wash the glass I used properly ,and
later I took a sip of water from the tap into that glass aargh!) the taste made me
remind what I put in there before
toxicity 5 ! for the moment I am ok I do not think I drunk enought to feel sick
LOL!
Anyway I guess I shiskebob it by now or got killed by the mix.. ( it is adviced
to wash well hands and face after and do not inhale vaps)
I should probably seal the whole with silicone or Bonsai sealing wax
I HOPE THERE IS JUST ONE LARVA!
Thanks Nina I am going to study Borers right now !
Theo

--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--
How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo

Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Theo

It is about Pine borer so if my maple has two holes it means that had larves since
1 or 2 years or more..as adults left form the holes
I) am scared for my pine as it was aside the maple 2 nights
see this:
http://www.bugspray.com/article/pinebark.html
Thanks again
Theo

Old 07-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

what do you mean by illegal ? :-) I bought it in a legal importer

I meant the stuff you poured in the bore hole. There are laws for
pesticide use that are there mainly to keep you from poisoning
yourself or the environment. you said you used :
some copper sulphate mix with water added 1 drop of Veralin D that
kills many sleeping larvaes ( I hope this host too) and jnjected in
the hole of the trunk , pumped in and out

Veralin D appears to be diazanon; I have no idea if it is legal to
inject it wherever you are (where are you, anyway?). In New York
State, whose regulations I am familiar with, there is no legal
insecticide for injection. But these regulations are not enforced
for ordinary people, so don't worry about being arrested; in NY, if
*I* advised something (I am a certified pesticide applicator), I
would be liable, and would be fined.

I cut it away and afterword I
realized that the * borer* carved partially around the root
under it probably
he strated from there

I have a apricot that was badly damaged by a plum borer; I poked the
little monster out and the tree will be fine (plum borers can only
lay eggs on open wounds, so if I'm careful pruning, I won't have a
recurrence). Once you get rid of a borer infestation, it's just a
matter of determining if the tree is still aesthetically pleasing.
My apricot looks awful, and is no longer bonsai material.

Horrid but I have not a mesh sack.. do they come out at night ?

The thing about longhorn beetles is that they are very large and very
sluggish. Walter Pall told a story of someone who found his cat
playing with a beetle that had just emerged. If you have them,
you'll probably see them. How big are the holes in the tree?
Longhorn beetle leave exit holes that are larger than the diameter of
a pencil; if your holes are smaller than that, don't worry. I'm
worrying because in New York the beetle has spread, and we have an
environmental catastrophe and no money (after 9/11) to eradicate the
beetle. The you notice it, the better the chances of stopping it.
It has been most commonly seen emerging from packing crate wood used
to ship goods from China, but the second most common means of spread
is from bonsai imported from China.

I wish I could tell you exactly what borer you have, but there are
several that attack maples, and I don't even know what continent you
are living on. Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Jim Lewis

It is about Pine borer so if my maple has two holes it means
that had larves since
1 or 2 years or more..as adults left form the holes
I) am scared for my pine as it was aside the maple 2 nights
see this:
http://www.bugspray.com/article/pinebark.html

Relax, Theo. A PINE borer wouldn't be caught dead in a maple.
Declasse'!

However, you DO need to learn to read the label on the pesticides
you use (and not to drink out of unwashed glasses that last held
a pesticide. The damage to you (if any) may not be immediate.
It could even be genetic -- to any progeny you might have at some
future date.

What I'm saying is BE A BIT MORE CAREFUL WITH THE POISONS YOU
HANDLE!

The pesticide label tells you what critters it attacks, what
plants it can be used on (and which ones it cannot be used on).

Jim Lewis - Tallahassee, FL

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Theo

HI Jim

Jim Lewis wrote:

It is about Pine borer so if my maple has two holes it means

that had larves since
1 or 2 years or more..as adults left form the holes
I) am scared for my pine as it was aside the maple 2 nights
see this:
http://www.bugspray.com/article/pinebark.html

Relax, Theo. A PINE borer wouldn't be caught dead in a maple.
Declasse'!

Thanks for making me feel better

However, you DO need to learn to read the label on the pesticides
you use (and not to drink out of unwashed glasses that last held
a pesticide. The damage to you (if any) may not be immediate.
It could even be genetic -- to any progeny you might have at some
future date.

I see , but I am over the age and idea to have kids anymore

What I'm saying is BE A BIT MORE CAREFUL WITH THE POISONS YOU
HANDLE!

I normally am and the glass was supposed to be washed but as usual I have someoen
han^ging around
so as I need a little sip of water for a medicament I took that glass that had
allready been washed a little but when I took the sip I felt the smell of the oily
product but it was too late

The pesticide label tells you what critters it attacks, what
plants it can be used on (and which ones it cannot be used on).

I know is an external but had anything else at hand
I am calling the Botanic school and ask them
as I cut a root yesterday and the cut was clean I washed it very well and made a
grafting with a new twig and put in akadama The twig is in between the bark and the
wood has been sliced one side and I fastened with synthetic raffia and put
sealing wax around.. will see if it works
as the main maple has some unecessary new branches I'll make some
airlayering soon
thanks again
Theo

Jim Lewis - Tallahassee, FL

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Theo

Hi Bonsai ka ?

I called a specialized Nursery and the School of gardening this is whyt
tehy said
the very first treatemennt I applied cupper sulphate and Veralin D are good
especially as injected in the holes
the second product I have in stock : Marshal is even better and adviced after 3
weeks ( from this one )
this Marshal ( a swiss brend ) for coleopters and larvaes can be sprayed and
also put as watering ( mixed)
will be absorbed by the roots and nuke the vermine wrom the within as in the
wooden fibers they eat !
Ouf
I feel better !
Thanks
again
Theo

Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

To be honest, Theo, I'm surprised you've lived this long.

My hair would go completely white if I tried to list all the things
you're doing wrong. The best summary is: READ THE LABEL. You can
only use a product the way it is intended to be used: if it's
supposed to be sprayed, you spray it. If it is for use on pine
borers, you can't use it on maple borers. If it says you should wear
gloves when applying it, you do. And so on.

I normally am and the glass was supposed to be washed

[My hair actually does go white] Even in Switzerland, I am sure you
are not allowed to mix pesticides in a drinking glass. You use a
container that you are REQUIRED to have marked "DANGER: CONTAINS
PESTICIDES". When you are done, you triple-rinse the container and
throw it away.

Nina, who is actually studying for her Maryland Pesticide
Applicator's license, and finds Theo much more useful than those
silly study questions at the end of each chapter.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Theo

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

To be honest, Theo, I'm surprised you've lived this long.

You do not know everything
If I did not get poisoned with plants seeds ( I was eating them) since kid is a
miracle ..not mentioning mercury
from thermometer still have 100 ounces that I do not know what to do

My hair would go completely white if I tried to list all the things
you're doing wrong. The best summary is: READ THE LABEL. You can
only use a product the way it is intended to be used: if it's
supposed to be sprayed, you spray it. If it is for use on pine
borers, you can't use it on maple borers. If it says you should wear
gloves when applying it, you do. And so on.

Yes I always read labels.. if it say not to inhale the spry I do not but air
threads changes sometimes so
quickly ..so some I get I was my hands and face I use mayby once per year since

10 years and I have no allergies anyway ( beside of crab meat that I cannot eat
.... sob!)
so if the product is not dagerous on tender sprouts or just before they come out
cannot be for the bark or for a wound( normally) cannot eat fruits if previously
given before 3 weeks so is not dangerous for fruits also ..
The one for borers is more dangerous as says that the empty bottles have be
given back to
drugstore or chemical dept for toxic products .. so will be more careful in giving
it

I normally am and the glass was supposed to be washed

[My hair actually does go white] Even in Switzerland, I am sure you
are not allowed to mix pesticides in a drinking glass.

I have no controls at home.. no kids ( grown up)only a wife :-) always there when
not needed and never there when needed!

You use a
container that you are REQUIRED to have marked "DANGER: CONTAINS
PESTICIDES". When you are done, you triple-rinse the container and
throw it away.

Right !! but if nobody sees ......
I do not deal with large quantities anyway a quarter of liter for my plants no
more as I have not a garden
these Veralin D and cupper sulphate are said on the notice can be mixed and I
have already previously done severals time as adviced , normally I put inside a
plastick vapo bottle the quantity I need and throw away the leftover and rinse
well, teh bottle is for vapo pbonsais anyway
In this pareticular case I needed a glass to to be able to fill 1-2 cc in a
syringe this is why I used a glass

I agree that I have a tendency to make mad mix sometimes..and that it can be
dangerous as I am not a chemist
when kid I was mixing my father's chemicals in a dish and put fire .. sometimes
was quite stinking and smoky

Nina, who is actually studying for her Maryland Pesticide
Applicator's license, and finds Theo much more useful than those
silly study questions at the end of each chapter.

well it is said that there is an Angel caring for irresponsibles ( like me )
LOL!
have a bright day Nina
Theo

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Theo

HI Bill

Bungalow Bill wrote:

On 7 May 2003 15:33:52 -0700, (Jim Lewis) wrote:

However, you DO need to learn to read the label on the pesticides
you use (and not to drink out of unwashed glasses that last held
a pesticide. The damage to you (if any) may not be immediate.

My sisters and I are all adults now. My mother has told me that what
keeps her up at night is worrying that her children's lives are in the
hands of her children!

true kids are unpredictable moreover a house is plenty of dangers of all
sorts for a young curious mind

One of the most difficult things to do is to protect people from
themselves. Yet the legislatures continue to pass laws to do just
that.

when I was kid it was regular that a kid blow his hand or kill a friend
playing with a loaded gun ( italy ) and 50 years later it still happens
everywhre
yesterday I sow a broadcasting about artificial sun tan health
centers
most of them are outlaw for the time of bronzing, tehy do not show
warnings for customers and for the bad or irregular material they use

Doctors warn of dangers and people go for fast tan carelessly 250 skin
cancer per year out of a population of 6.5 millions almost .. you cannot
put a guardian angel behind each human.. and even if it would be possible
would you accept to have one:-)

My many thanks to the pesticide experts on the board.

Nina is very helpful as I or we often get too careless with these
materials
friendly
Theo