Old 07-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Helena Handbasket

Default [IBC] Wisteria tree collect now?

Hi all,
To piggy back on BobO's question on wisteria, my neighbor has a wisteria tree, about 12

feet high. She has offered it to me. When I told her my thoughts to turn it into a Bonsai,
she was a little less than overjoyed, but seeing she has not found anyone to take it as a
tree, she may allow me to take it. At present, it is just showing swelling in the buds,
the trunk is approx 5 inches or more at the soil line.

The questions a Is it still OK to try and remove it now, I'm in Zone 5b?6a, southern

NY state. The trunk goes up about 3 feet before it splits into branches, should I trunk
chop below the 3 foot height or higher?

Thanks
Jay

I've also been offered a beautiful wisteria that is about 5' tall and 6" diameter trunk.
It is blooming wildly now and I thought I'd wait to collect it after the bloom finishes.
My question is, if you leave some root after you collect it, will the tree come up again.
My neighbor wants to clear it completely out.

I'm heartened by all the success stories and am just trying to get the energy up to
collect this tree. That and dodging twisters!

Good luck on your collection effort!

--
katie
Zone 6.5