Old 08-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Wacko!

Default Cover crops

I've used both buckwheat and annual rye to improve my soil. I planted the
buckwheat in the spring. I let the bees have the flowers for a few days and
then tilled it under before it set seed.

I immediately followed with the annual rye, which winterkills in Zone 6B.
No problem there.

The next year I did have a stray buckwheat seed sprout here and there, but
it was absolutely no problem. They are easy to pull, and I didn't get many
of them.

You get immediate weed control, and you are doing something good for your
soil. If you are willing to take your time, you can do it with hand tools.
Worked great for me!

Cya! Wacko

"Brian" wrote in message

But maybe I could do the marigolds in a future year.

I don't know who posted this advice but my question is do you till them
under before they set seeds, or do you plan on having them come up next
year ?