Old 08-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Rick and Dana Siekmann

Default Lawn Striper...need some input

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Rick and Dana Siekmann" wrote in message
Has anyone tried it, and if so how did it work--ease of installation,

use,
etc.? Does anyone know of any similar products that might work as well

(or
better)? Obviously I know you can get rollers for riding

mowers/tractors,
but I'm a pusher, and this is the first thing like it I've seen. And

having
just picked up a copy of David Mellor's "Lawn Bible, " it looks

intriguing.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.lawnstriper.com/

I think that using weighted rollers on your lawn is a bad idea. It

compacts
the soil and does the opposite of what you try to accomplish with core
aeration. I suppose that on sports fields where the turf is replaced
frequently it doesn't matter.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that...but that does raise an interesting
question: how much is too much? Weight, I mean. Does dragging a 30lb
roller around your yard really have that much more of a compacting effect
than just walking on it? I weigh a lot more than thirty pounds, for
example, and all my weight is concentrated on two spindley little legs. So
the places I step must really be compacted. (And I step on my yard a lot!)
Relatively speaking, I'm not sure the the dirt below would even notice those
thirty extra pounds.

Still, I appreciate the advice, and you might very well be right. On the
other hand, the guys that take care of those big league fields do seem to do
a pretty good job....