Old 08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
groovy

Default Lilies don't like moving water

I just got back from the Loire valley in France where there was a very nice
display of Lilies around a Chateau in the middle of a tributary river. There
was a good old flow going on (I wouldn't like to have tried to swim across)
but the lee of the building made a nice calm surface for the leaves to sit
on
without getting swamped by wavelets. So I suspect that as Paul says, it's
the calm surface that is important rather than the amount of flow.

"joe" wrote in message
I've seen it mentioned a few times here and also read in books that water
lilies don't like moving water. So, the question arises, if you are

supposed
to move the entire volume of your pond through whatever filter you are

using
every one to two hours, how can you not have moving water? I think I'm
around a water change very 1.5 hours and would call that noticeably moving
water; no waves or anything, but moving along.

Clearly, I don't have lilies in the stream or under my waterfall, but I do
in my main pond.

Enquiring minds are looking askance for some insight.

Joe