Old 08-05-2003, 01:08 AM
joe

Default Lilies don't like moving water

I've seen it mentioned a few times here and also read in books that water
lilies don't like moving water. So, the question arises, if you are supposed
to move the entire volume of your pond through whatever filter you are using
every one to two hours, how can you not have moving water? I think I'm
around a water change very 1.5 hours and would call that noticeably moving
water; no waves or anything, but moving along.

Clearly, I don't have lilies in the stream or under my waterfall, but I do
in my main pond.

Enquiring minds are looking askance for some insight.

Joe

Old 08-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Paul in Redland

I think it is more accurate to say that lilies don't like disturbed water,
with obvious motion on the surface, like you would have near the waterfall.
Paul

Old 08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
groovy

I just got back from the Loire valley in France where there was a very nice
display of Lilies around a Chateau in the middle of a tributary river. There
was a good old flow going on (I wouldn't like to have tried to swim across)
but the lee of the building made a nice calm surface for the leaves to sit
on
without getting swamped by wavelets. So I suspect that as Paul says, it's
the calm surface that is important rather than the amount of flow.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Yep, that's it: don't put them under or near a waterfall, fountain,
airstone, etc. Water moving under and around them is fine, they just don't
like to get splashed or bounced around. If the surface is still, they'll be
fine. When I had lilies in the pond (this year, no plants where the fish are
.. . . an experiment), they did just fine with a pond turnover of 2.5X per
hour.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:56 PM

I heard this too, but the Pond Lady (who wholesales lilies in this area) says lilies
dont mind moving water as long as they are not being splashed on the top of the
leaves. Ingrid

Old 09-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Fringe Ryder

joe sez:
I've seen it mentioned a few times here and also read in books that water
lilies don't like moving water.

Check out my page, you'll see my veggie pond is awash in lillies... and yet
there's a waterfall feeding into it with them AND it moves more than double
the volume of that pond every hour.

http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/MyPond.html

The following are all from that page (but are the zoom shots, so don't hit
without a fast connection. The web page has thumbnails.)

In the shot at http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/Up...Stream2_lg.JPG
the waterfall is just out of site at the lower right, you can see the
ripples.

In http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/Po...une23_8_lg.jpg which was
taken a month after filling the veggie pond, you can see the water lillies
come pretty close to the waterfall. Their choice, I assure you; no lillies
were put under the downspout.

http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/Po...une23_F_lg.jpg shows another
angle, lillies everywhere. From this angle, the pond looks small. It's
not, it's about eight feet long (not counting the stream, of course) and
probably about 4-1/2 wide.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Joe,

Like the rest, I have heard this, but in my pond
the lily pads are every where, and sometime in
direct contact with the cascade and I have never
seen them show me in any way that they dislike it
as far as I have noticed.

None of the pots are directly under the cascade
but they are right next to it and so do get direct
effect of water flow in proximity of the pot and
this has never prevented them from growing like
the dickens or stopped their blooming. So
needless to say, I don't know where this
information came about unless they are talking
about the Amazon Lilies that produce pads that are
6 to 9 feet across and I do know that they say
flow is not good for these plants.

Tom L.L.
================================
"joe" wrote in message
I've seen it mentioned a few times here and also

read in books that water
lilies don't like moving water. So, the question

arises, if you are supposed
to move the entire volume of your pond through

whatever filter you are using
every one to two hours, how can you not have

moving water? I think I'm
around a water change very 1.5 hours and would

call that noticeably moving
water; no waves or anything, but moving along.

Clearly, I don't have lilies in the stream or

under my waterfall, but I do
in my main pond.

Enquiring minds are looking askance for some

insight.

Joe

Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup