Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Need Landscaping Advice

Requester said:

i think i will put something around the junipers. im still deciding
on where to put the blue spruces. how fast do they grow per year? im
thinking of putting them on the west side of the house over by the
wood area or close to the street in the front yard. one on the west
and one of the east side of the house.
im not sure yet.

It's not how fast they grow, it's how tall and wide they get. A nice specimen
set out where it has room to spread may cover a circle 25+ feet in diameter
at the base, with branches sweeping all the way to the ground. (Which is
they way they should be allowed to remain!)

People plant them 3 feet from their driveway or 4 feet from the house or
in the side yard where the houses are 15 feet apart and end up having to
hack at the base of the spruces because they don't have the room to spread.

I have to walk by a row of nasty hacked-up spruces planted too near the sidewalk
every time I walk into town. (They look nice from the house, but the world
gets to see a sheared-off face of dead branch stumps.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)