Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Requester

Default Need Landscaping Advice

ok here is a link to my front yard
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...es.msnw?Page=1
that i desporately want to do some tree planting. i have already
started on the east side of the house. im want to do more. im out of
ideas now. i bought some emerald greens as you can see in one of the
pics. i have two green junipers at the drive way entrance. i bought
two blue spruces and a fire bush tree. im thinking about putting the
two spruces on the west side of the house to block off the other two
houses. if you stand in my drive way facing the house east is on your
left and west is to the right. in front of the light pole (west) i
have a leyland cypress.
if anyone can offer any suggestions that would be great.
thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Vox Humana

"Requester" wrote in message
om...

ok here is a link to my front yard
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...es.msnw?Page=1
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...es.msnw?Page=1
that i desporately want to do some tree planting. i have already
started on the east side of the house. im want to do more. im out of
ideas now. i bought some emerald greens as you can see in one of the
pics. i have two green junipers at the drive way entrance. i bought
two blue spruces and a fire bush tree. im thinking about putting the
two spruces on the west side of the house to block off the other two
houses. if you stand in my drive way facing the house east is on your
left and west is to the right. in front of the light pole (west) i
have a leyland cypress.
if anyone can offer any suggestions that would be great.
thanks

I was quite surprised to see that you added pictures of your garden to my
website.

Old 07-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Requester said:
i have two green junipers at the drive way entrance.

They look very, very lonely. I should think a bed around them with
maybe some lower, mounding evergreens and other ornamentals
would make them look less isolated.

i bought
two blue spruces and a fire bush tree. im thinking about putting the
two spruces on the west side of the house to block off the other two
houses.

Don't make the mistake most people make and plant these (eventually
huge) trees somewhere they'd look good *now* -- think in 'plant time.'
(Even I can't believe the number of blue spruce trees I've seen planted
too close to this or that and then butchered on the bottom when they
get in someone's way -- or cut down before they'd even reached their
prime.)

One more suggestion:
Widen the foundation planting and move the shrubs away from the house
a bit.

(I'm feeling a bit ornery this morning... Is it obvious?)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 07-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Vox Humana

Requester wrote in message ...
o? sooo sorry. i didnt know. what i did was click on join link and i
thought it was my own store to put up pics. i can remove them right away.
soo sorry

I was just very surprised. I knew that it wasn't malicious. You can leave
them there while people give you suggestions.

Old 07-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Requester

i think i will put something around the junipers. im still deciding
on where to put the blue spruces. how fast do they grow per year? im
thinking of putting them on the west side of the house over by the
wood area or close to the street in the front yard. one on the west
and one of the east side of the house.
im not sure yet.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Requester said:

i think i will put something around the junipers. im still deciding
on where to put the blue spruces. how fast do they grow per year? im
thinking of putting them on the west side of the house over by the
wood area or close to the street in the front yard. one on the west
and one of the east side of the house.
im not sure yet.

It's not how fast they grow, it's how tall and wide they get. A nice specimen
set out where it has room to spread may cover a circle 25+ feet in diameter
at the base, with branches sweeping all the way to the ground. (Which is
they way they should be allowed to remain!)

People plant them 3 feet from their driveway or 4 feet from the house or
in the side yard where the houses are 15 feet apart and end up having to
hack at the base of the spruces because they don't have the room to spread.

I have to walk by a row of nasty hacked-up spruces planted too near the sidewalk
every time I walk into town. (They look nice from the house, but the world
gets to see a sheared-off face of dead branch stumps.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)