Old 08-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Treetops

Default what's invading my spirea

Two years ago I put about 3 dozen imports on my aphid loaded Spirea's and
never saw any sign of them again. Don't know why Ladybugs don't take to this
area; I might see only 2 or 3 all season. Maybe for one of the following
reasons:
- I live deep in the Canadian woods in a non-residential/non-farming area;
few local attractions??
- winter is long and cold down to -25F degrees; low egg survival rate??
- lots of birds, many types; do they eat Ladybugs??
- nature's rules??

Haven't used chemicals for over 2 years and then only on a few selected
shrubs; never on any of my many perrenial beds. Only use insecticidal soap
now, and very selectively on Spirea and Engelmani Ivy only.
Have had hoards of aphids (probably imported on plant material) but alas few
Ladybugs.

"JNJ" wrote in message
Unfortunately the Ladybug population here is almost zero and I don't

think
imports would stick around.

Why not? Although you may have problems with insect populations since you
use chemicals.