Old 08-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Vox Humana

Default Rubber Mulch!!

Maybe I don't get out much, but a few days ago I was browsing the garden
department at Lowe's and found some bags of rubber mulch. It was quite
expensive - around $10 for 2 cubic feet, as I recall. I found the idea sort
of disturbing. I didn't bother to look at the bag, but I assume that the
mulch is made from old tires. The label touted the fact that you would only
have to use this product once, unlike conventional mulch that has to be
applied every year or two. Someone use that pine nugget mulch on some of
the beds at my house and it never seems to disappear no matter how hard I
try to rid myself of it. I can't even imagine using rubber. What happens
when you need to plant something? It seems you would have to carefully
remove it if you wanted to improve the soil. Oh well, I guess it probably
isn't any worse than the red volcanic rock than the people up the street use
around their shrubs - or is it?