Old 08-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Art Norman

Default Beet Seeds Not Germinating

I've read (and it really seems to work for me) to keep beet seed in the
freezer for a week or so before planting. It also helps to rub them around
on a peice of course sandpaper to remove some of the hard coating - there is
a term for this but I forget what it is called.
I have gotten about 80% germination this year doing this just sticking them
in the prepared bed - Detroit Red only - have never tried the golden ones.

Art N2ERI - proud top poster since 1990

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message

I'm having problems getting beet seeds to germinate -

.......Snipped to prove that top posters DO edit first...

I did get some germination (2 seeds out of 12), but at a very poor rate.

I also have red beet seeds that I should plant out now.

Any advice?

Pat

Brian Watson - I would be honored to be added to your kill file and I hope
what I have to say is just what you need to (not) hear