Old 08-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Beet Seeds Not Germinating

On Thu, 8 May 2003 11:23:18 -0400, "Art Norman"
wrote:

I've read (and it really seems to work for me) to keep beet seed in the
freezer for a week or so before planting. It also helps to rub them around
on a peice of course sandpaper to remove some of the hard coating - there is
a term for this but I forget what it is called.

I think it's 'scarifying'. I'm not sure though. I'll give
this a try.

I have gotten about 80% germination this year doing this just sticking them
in the prepared bed - Detroit Red only - have never tried the golden ones.

I asked about the beets on a mailing list too, and one
person there said that the Golden's are notorious for poor
germination - this gives me hope that the red ones will do
better.

Last year I just stuck mine in the ground too. No problems
- they were red ones though.

Thanks.

Pat