Old 08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Ho-Kuo Chan

Default Liquid vs granular/solid fertilizer

Sorry about the last post, I forgot to copy my question: do I need to pack
the soil down after dumping it or should I just level it off? Thanks!

--

Ho-Kuo Chan

"Peter H" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

"Ho-Kuo Chan" wrote in message
Hi,
I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of liquid vs
solid/granular fertilizer. I live a northern climate (Montreal, Canada),

have Kentucky bluegrass. Alos, There's an area of my lawn that's meets

the
foundation of the house that need to be elevated to drain rain away from

the
house. I estimate it needs to be raised 2-3 inches at the foundation.
Thanks!

--

HK

For a do-it-yourselfer the granular fert is normally preferable 'cause it
will be time-released and is easier to apply evenly.

To raise the level near the house you have a couple of options. If you

just
dump 3" of soil on the grass there you will kill or set back most of the
grass and weeds will fill in. You could dump the soil on and then cover in
sod or seed it. Sod would solve the problem instantly. You could also add
the soil an inch or so at a time and as the grass grows up through it add
some more and in this way gradually raise the level there.

Peter H