Old 08-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Mr. Costington

Default Ants

"Vanis" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I've read that they're not harmful to a garden, but they tend aphids.
They've invaded one of my 4x4 boxes (contains zucchini, strawberry,

pepper,
swish chard plants). Any ideas on how I can get rid of them without

harming
my plants?

You might also try sprinkling a few tablespoons of grits near each mound.
Supposedly the ants feed the grits to their queen, and the grits swell up
inside her and kill her and eventually the colony dies out. It works
reasonably well, and grits are cheap and non-toxic.
Old-fashioned grits seem to work better than the "quick" or "minute" grits.