Old 07-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Vanis

Default Ants

Hi,

I've read that they're not harmful to a garden, but they tend aphids.
They've invaded one of my 4x4 boxes (contains zucchini, strawberry, pepper,
swish chard plants). Any ideas on how I can get rid of them without harming
my plants?

Thanks,

Old 07-05-2003, 11:20 PM
animaux

Well, since there are more ants on the planet than any of the other species,
combined, which ones are you talking about?

Old 08-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Eric

In article , Vanis wrote:
Hi,

I've read that they're not harmful to a garden, but they tend aphids.
They've invaded one of my 4x4 boxes (contains zucchini, strawberry, pepper,
swish chard plants). Any ideas on how I can get rid of them without harming
my plants?

I have kept ants under control using Cedar-cide, which is 100% cedar chips.
It also seems to keep away most other bugs as well. I just sprinkle it
around my garden and between rows every couple weeks. It doesn't seem to
have any negative effects. BTW, they also sell a spray bottle of a
cedar solution, however the big bags of cedar chips is much more cost
effective.

Good luck,
Eric
Old 08-05-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

On Thu, 08 May 2003 00:23:13 -0500, Eric wrote:

I have kept ants under control using Cedar-cide, which is 100% cedar chips.
It also seems to keep away most other bugs as well. I just sprinkle it
around my garden and between rows every couple weeks. It doesn't seem to
have any negative effects. BTW, they also sell a spray bottle of a
cedar solution, however the big bags of cedar chips is much more cost
effective.

Good luck,
Eric

I've made a tea with those cedar flakes (you are talking about) which works as
well.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Vanis

They look like typical field ants. But then again, I'm not an expert. If you
can provide your mailing address, I can send you a sample.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Mr. Costington

"Vanis" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I've read that they're not harmful to a garden, but they tend aphids.
They've invaded one of my 4x4 boxes (contains zucchini, strawberry,

pepper,
swish chard plants). Any ideas on how I can get rid of them without

harming
my plants?

You might also try sprinkling a few tablespoons of grits near each mound.
Supposedly the ants feed the grits to their queen, and the grits swell up
inside her and kill her and eventually the colony dies out. It works
reasonably well, and grits are cheap and non-toxic.
Old-fashioned grits seem to work better than the "quick" or "minute" grits.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:56 AM
animaux

Typical field ants? Are they big, red, black, small, and/or do they bite, swarm
out of the nest, docile???

On Thu, 08 May 2003 14:43:30 GMT, "Vanis" wrote:

They look like typical field ants. But then again, I'm not an expert. If you
can provide your mailing address, I can send you a sample.

.. .

Old 10-05-2003, 04:08 PM
kn125

A very safe method that has worked well for me in the past is
sprinkling some turmeric powder on the ant mound. The ants move away
from that spot quite quickly. You can get turmeric powder ( ~ $1 or
so) at Fiesta or any Indian grocery stores.

-kn

Old 17-05-2003, 03:44 PM
animaux

On Sat, 17 May 2003 01:51:07 GMT, "Cliff" wrote:

It must be a terrible responsibility to be an expert on every subject.

What's terrible is the way people feel they must kill everything. What's even
more infinitely ridiculous are people who actually think they CAN kill
everything.

I'm not an expert, but I know a great deal about gardening, soils, and insect
management. I worked for years as a professional grower and I did it all
certified organically.

Got any questions? If not, kiss my ass.
Old 17-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Sat, 17 May 2003 14:44:08 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Sat, 17 May 2003 01:51:07 GMT, "Cliff" wrote:

It must be a terrible responsibility to be an expert on every subject.

What's terrible is the way people feel they must kill everything. What's even
more infinitely ridiculous are people who actually think they CAN kill
everything.

I'm not an expert, but I know a great deal about gardening, soils, and insect
management. I worked for years as a professional grower and I did it all
certified organically.

Got any questions? If not, kiss my ass.

He's just a troll. Killfile the troll and move on. If nobody responds,
he, she, or it will go find some other group to annoy.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 18-05-2003, 01:20 PM
animaux

On Sat, 17 May 2003 17:35:31 GMT, Elliot Richmond
wrote:

He's just a troll. Killfile the troll and move on. If nobody responds,
he, she, or it will go find some other group to annoy.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

I have, thanks.

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM