Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Rod

Default "Stella " Cherries.

"Serendipity" wrote in message
Many thanks Rod. I'll sit back and wait for a feast.
By the way, what would you recommend for a
protection against birds eating the lot?

It's a difficult one. Ours is on 'Colt' rootstock so it's a reasonable size
to build a cage over. I've never seen a commercially made cage high enough
so I made one out of galvanised water pipe and 'kee klamps'
This was part of a much bigger project to keep pheasants off the veg and
fruit. Netting came from Knowle Nets. Just throwing loose soft netting over
the tree results in a lot of trapped dead birds and you still lose the
fruit. If there's cherries the other side blackbirds can fly through 2 inch
wire netting without a pause so you need much smaller, something like 18mm
to keep out small birds (bluetits quite like cherries) If the protection
isn't 100% birds get trapped in there and live very well off the cherries.

Rod