Old 08-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Serendipity

Default "Stella " Cherries.

My "Stella" cherry tree is heavily laden and I was wonderibg,
do cherries have a "June drop," or do I need to give
the terr a helping hand later in the month?
Old 08-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Rod

"Serendipity" wrote in message ...
My "Stella" cherry tree is heavily laden and I was wonderibg,
do cherries have a "June drop," or do I need to give
the terr a helping hand later in the month?

I've never ended up with too many Cherries, normally only a small proportion set. You won't know until the stones are
formed. Should be higher than average percentage this time. As I said I've never felt the need to thin them but there's
always a first time.

Rod

Old 08-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Serendipity

On Thu, 8 May 2003 19:28:48 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

"Serendipity" wrote in message ...
My "Stella" cherry tree is heavily laden and I was wonderibg,
do cherries have a "June drop," or do I need to give
the terr a helping hand later in the month?

I've never ended up with too many Cherries, normally only a small proportion set. You won't know until the stones are
formed. Should be higher than average percentage this time. As I said I've never felt the need to thin them but there's
always a first time.

Rod

Many thanks Rod. I'll sit back and wait for a feast.
By the way, what would you recommend for a
protection against birds eating the lot?

Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Rod

"Serendipity" wrote in message
Many thanks Rod. I'll sit back and wait for a feast.
By the way, what would you recommend for a
protection against birds eating the lot?

It's a difficult one. Ours is on 'Colt' rootstock so it's a reasonable size
to build a cage over. I've never seen a commercially made cage high enough
so I made one out of galvanised water pipe and 'kee klamps'
This was part of a much bigger project to keep pheasants off the veg and
fruit. Netting came from Knowle Nets. Just throwing loose soft netting over
the tree results in a lot of trapped dead birds and you still lose the
fruit. If there's cherries the other side blackbirds can fly through 2 inch
wire netting without a pause so you need much smaller, something like 18mm
to keep out small birds (bluetits quite like cherries) If the protection
isn't 100% birds get trapped in there and live very well off the cherries.

Rod

Old 08-05-2003, 09:44 PM
cross

Rod wrote in message

"Serendipity" wrote in message
Many thanks Rod. I'll sit back and wait for a feast.
By the way, what would you recommend for a
protection against birds eating the lot?

For the last 2yrs I have hung old CD's around the tree, so that they are
free to swing in the wind, and no bird has been brave enough to land there.

I must get them out again soon, thanks for the reminder.

Marina

Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Serendipity contains these words:

Many thanks Rod. I'll sit back and wait for a feast.
By the way, what would you recommend for a
protection against birds eating the lot?

Net the whole tree and make sure the only holes are those that are meant
to be in it. I covered my mother's weeping morello and pegged down the
bottom of the net and checked my work very carefully.

Half an hour later there were seven blackbirds in it.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi