Old 09-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Vox Humana

Default Viburnum help

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Sounds to me like there wasn't a healthy root system to begin with, or

your
soil is overly dry. You said you watered it in but not if you kept

watering.
Some container plants get so heavily watered that they don't need to

develop
good root systems to maintain lush topgrowth. Were there lots of good
healthy roots when you transplanted? At this point, you may have lost the
lush top growth and you might be better off cutting back the suffering

stems
to solid buds giving the plant a rest and allowing its roots to catch up

the top growth. When it's ready, new shoots will come from the buds in the
healthy wood you cut back. Sandy soil requires extra watering for plants

get established (even with ammendments). Those Viburnums like good water

and
seen them best in a moist clay soil.

I got a Shasta viburnum (Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum 'Shasta') last
spring and didn't get it planted immediately. I noticed that it tended to
wilt if not water very frequently. After I planted it I also had to be
careful to keep it well watered. I was worried that it wouldn't make it
through the winter, but it is back and in bloom. I can't wait for it to get
some size. It is a beautiful plant. I also have a Juddi Viburnum that has
a wonderful perfume very early in the spring before anything else is in
flower. I picked up a few very tiny viburnums marked "Blueberry Muffin" at
the annual Spring Hill Nursery warehouse sale for $1 each. I haven't been
able to find any information on them.