Old 08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Larry Lovett

Default Viburnum help

I have a cranberry "Wentworth" viburnum that was purchased from a local
nursery. It was in a 12 inch pot and I transplanted it immediately.
Within two days, I noticed some leaves wilting and now they are totally
brown and shriveled. Most of the wilting occurred on one branch, although
there are other branches with wilting of just the uppermost leaves. The
shrub looked quite healthy when I bought it.

I planted it in sandy to normal soil amended with spaghum peat moss and I
watered it thoroughly. It gets about 3 hours of late afternoon sun. Two
weeks have gone by and the wilting does not appear to be spreading any
further, so it looks like it will survive.

Anybody know what could have happened? What do I do now? Should I trim off
all the branches just below the wilted leaves or should I go further? The
worst branch is about 3 feet long and runs up right from the base. This
branch does not have many healthy leaves left.

The shape is rather upright right now. Will it round out naturally, or do I
need to prune it? Also, the viburnum is about three feet high, but the
bottom 12 inches are bare. Is there a way to encourage lower leaf growth?
Final question - do viburnums spread by sucker growth?

I'm in Michigan, zone 5 - thanks in advance!

Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 AM
V_coerulea

Sounds to me like there wasn't a healthy root system to begin with, or your
soil is overly dry. You said you watered it in but not if you kept watering.
Some container plants get so heavily watered that they don't need to develop
good root systems to maintain lush topgrowth. Were there lots of good
healthy roots when you transplanted? At this point, you may have lost the
lush top growth and you might be better off cutting back the suffering stems
to solid buds giving the plant a rest and allowing its roots to catch up to
the top growth. When it's ready, new shoots will come from the buds in the
healthy wood you cut back. Sandy soil requires extra watering for plants to
get established (even with ammendments). Those Viburnums like good water and
seen them best in a moist clay soil.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Vox Humana

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
[...]

I got a Shasta viburnum (Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum 'Shasta') last
spring and didn't get it planted immediately. I noticed that it tended to
wilt if not water very frequently. After I planted it I also had to be
careful to keep it well watered. I was worried that it wouldn't make it
through the winter, but it is back and in bloom. I can't wait for it to get
some size. It is a beautiful plant. I also have a Juddi Viburnum that has
a wonderful perfume very early in the spring before anything else is in
flower. I picked up a few very tiny viburnums marked "Blueberry Muffin" at
the annual Spring Hill Nursery warehouse sale for $1 each. I haven't been
able to find any information on them.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Dan

On Thu, 8 May 2003 12:07:07 -0400, "Larry Lovett"
wrote:

I have a cranberry "Wentworth" viburnum that was purchased from a local
nursery. It was in a 12 inch pot and I transplanted it immediately.
Within two days, I noticed some leaves wilting and now they are totally
brown and shriveled. Most of the wilting occurred on one branch, although
there are other branches with wilting of just the uppermost leaves. The
shrub looked quite healthy when I bought it.

Maybe under-watering, from what I've heard they enjoy a healthy dose
of water. Soil pH might also be a factor, or simply the shock of
transplanting to a different medium (I don't know how tolerant their
root structure is towads transplanting shock).

The shape is rather upright right now. Will it round out naturally, or do I
need to prune it? Also, the viburnum is about three feet high, but the
bottom 12 inches are bare. Is there a way to encourage lower leaf growth?

I would guess higher nitrogen items (fertilizer, straw/hay, farm
animal manure, etc.) incorporated into the surrounding soil would help
green growth. Acidic soil is also a requirement. I also purchased
one today and planted it with loam and some sand. It was very
healthy, lots of growth, and around 3 ft tall. The flower buds haven't
blossomed yet. Tomorrow I'll probably mulch some hay around it. I
wish you luck...the yellow flowers look like they'll be very nice.
Are yellow flowers typical for v. trilobum wentworth?

Just about every major nursery around here didn't stock v. trilobums.
I finally found a nursery an hour's drive north with 10, and at $40
each, one will be enough for now (however, I'm clearing a space for a
second along the property line with a neighbor). I felt very lucky
to find the Wentworth cultivar, I suppose it's the most popular. The
other viburnums (at a different nursery) smelled really nice, so I'm
tempted to mix up varieties. For now, this bush is only for the birds,
bees and butterflies until it's a bit bigger.

Even though some fliers say deer won't touch them I'm still a little
worried leaving it out there overnight without much protection.

Dan

Old 09-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Dan

On Thu, 08 May 2003 23:38:33 GMT, "V_coerulea"
wrote:

Sandy soil requires extra watering for plants to
get established (even with ammendments). Those Viburnums like good water and
seen them best in a moist clay soil.

This is funny. I buy a 60 lb bag of sand and use my best loam from
the back while installing the bush today, and it turnes out the clay
that dominates this particular part of the world is its' best friend
Oh well, at least all the rocks were removed down to 2 ft before
planting.

breaks out the 40lb sledge hammer & smiles A Christmas present
from last year...it's done wonders around this granite-dominated yard.
If the prybar won't persuade it, Mr Sledge will divide and conquer
with a few quick strokes. The old maul-axe would've taken all day.

Dan

Old 09-05-2003, 06:44 PM
mardab

Last fall a utility company tore out an 8 foot viburnam from my
yard...very shallow root system. I moved it, trimmed it back, and
replanted, soaked it almost daily and this spring its growing just
fine in zone 5 clayish soil.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:08 PM
nan

[...]

Just because the leaves have fallen off is no reason to cut the branch
off. This may have been transplant shock to the shrub and it will
recover without any drastic pruning. Is it possible that you added too
much peat moss and did not thoroughly mix it in with the existing
soil? Was the peat moss dry when you added it? It can shed water when
dry.

The shape is rather upright right now. Will it round out naturally, or do I
need to prune it? Also, the viburnum is about three feet high, but the
bottom 12 inches are bare. Is there a way to encourage lower leaf growth?
Final question - do viburnums spread by sucker growth?

I'm in Michigan, zone 5 - thanks in advance!

Viburnum trilobum will eventually get more leaves very close to the
ground, but over time. The species does not sucker. But it can reseed!

It does however prefer a moisture retentive soil. If it does not like
your soil it will not develop to its potential, e.g. not many lower
leaves. Any extra watering cannot counteract the effect of the soil
being too free draining for the shrub. A mulch of compost may keep the
top roots from drying out.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:32 AM
B & J

wrote:

Sandy soil requires extra watering for plants to
get established (even with ammendments). Those Viburnums like good water

and
seen them best in a moist clay soil.

This is funny. I buy a 60 lb bag of sand and use my best loam from
the back while installing the bush today, and it turnes out the clay
that dominates this particular part of the world is its' best friend
Oh well, at least all the rocks were removed down to 2 ft before
planting.

breaks out the 40lb sledge hammer & smiles A Christmas present
from last year...it's done wonders around this granite-dominated yard.
If the prybar won't persuade it, Mr Sledge will divide and conquer
with a few quick strokes. The old maul-axe would've taken all day.

Dan

Aha, Dan, you've discovered the "Murphy's Law" of gardening! G My favorite
friend in hole digging is the pick ax, which I never owned prior to moving
to the Ozarks. We don't have granite (rocks break easily with a sledge), but
the Arkansas potatoes do a good job of resisting any shovel.

John

Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 PM
flicker

From: "Vox Humana"

I picked up a few very tiny viburnums marked "Blueberry Muffin" at
the annual Spring Hill Nursery warehouse sale for $1 each. I haven't been
able to find any information on them.

'Blue Muffin' is a cultivar of Arrowwood viburnum. The plant catalog at
Monrovia.com has info on it. Looks lovely.

http://www.monrovia.com

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf...7007a40d5/6a95
6870c5d4e96b88256b190064cf59!OpenDocument

Bianca
Long Island
Zone 6-7
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Old 12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Vox Humana

From: "Vox Humana"

I picked up a few very tiny viburnums marked "Blueberry Muffin" at
the annual Spring Hill Nursery warehouse sale for $1 each. I haven't

been
able to find any information on them.

'Blue Muffin' is a cultivar of Arrowwood viburnum. The plant catalog at
Monrovia.com has info on it. Looks lovely.

http://www.monrovia.com

Thanks. I wonder how long it will take to grow from about 6 inches into a
decent sized plant?