Old 09-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Fringe Ryder

Default Lilies don't like moving water

joe sez:
I've seen it mentioned a few times here and also read in books that water
lilies don't like moving water.

Check out my page, you'll see my veggie pond is awash in lillies... and yet
there's a waterfall feeding into it with them AND it moves more than double
the volume of that pond every hour.

http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/MyPond.html

The following are all from that page (but are the zoom shots, so don't hit
without a fast connection. The web page has thumbnails.)

In the shot at http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/Up...Stream2_lg.JPG
the waterfall is just out of site at the lower right, you can see the
ripples.

In http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/Po...une23_8_lg.jpg which was
taken a month after filling the veggie pond, you can see the water lillies
come pretty close to the waterfall. Their choice, I assure you; no lillies
were put under the downspout.

http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/Po...une23_F_lg.jpg shows another
angle, lillies everywhere. From this angle, the pond looks small. It's
not, it's about eight feet long (not counting the stream, of course) and
probably about 4-1/2 wide.