Old 09-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Dan

Default Viburnum help

On Thu, 8 May 2003 12:07:07 -0400, "Larry Lovett"
wrote:

I have a cranberry "Wentworth" viburnum that was purchased from a local
nursery. It was in a 12 inch pot and I transplanted it immediately.
Within two days, I noticed some leaves wilting and now they are totally
brown and shriveled. Most of the wilting occurred on one branch, although
there are other branches with wilting of just the uppermost leaves. The
shrub looked quite healthy when I bought it.

Maybe under-watering, from what I've heard they enjoy a healthy dose
of water. Soil pH might also be a factor, or simply the shock of
transplanting to a different medium (I don't know how tolerant their
root structure is towads transplanting shock).

The shape is rather upright right now. Will it round out naturally, or do I
need to prune it? Also, the viburnum is about three feet high, but the
bottom 12 inches are bare. Is there a way to encourage lower leaf growth?

I would guess higher nitrogen items (fertilizer, straw/hay, farm
animal manure, etc.) incorporated into the surrounding soil would help
green growth. Acidic soil is also a requirement. I also purchased
one today and planted it with loam and some sand. It was very
healthy, lots of growth, and around 3 ft tall. The flower buds haven't
blossomed yet. Tomorrow I'll probably mulch some hay around it. I
wish you luck...the yellow flowers look like they'll be very nice.
Are yellow flowers typical for v. trilobum wentworth?

Just about every major nursery around here didn't stock v. trilobums.
I finally found a nursery an hour's drive north with 10, and at $40
each, one will be enough for now (however, I'm clearing a space for a
second along the property line with a neighbor). I felt very lucky
to find the Wentworth cultivar, I suppose it's the most popular. The
other viburnums (at a different nursery) smelled really nice, so I'm
tempted to mix up varieties. For now, this bush is only for the birds,
bees and butterflies until it's a bit bigger.

Even though some fliers say deer won't touch them I'm still a little
worried leaving it out there overnight without much protection.

Dan