Old 09-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Jerry Donovan

Default Too Many Goldfish

I am curious what people do when their pond is over populated.

A couple years ago, we put in one of the small ponds that is
sold at Sam's Club. It is two level and has about 150 gallons,
with a small water fall and a bubbler. It has a variety of plants.
Placing it up by our patio on the back of the house has
allowed us to really enjoy it.

Before we knew better, we added a 16 small goldfish to the pond.
They were only $0.25 a piece and we figured that we would lose
some. Well, we did lose a couple, but now we have 14 of them
that are about 4 inches to 6 inches long, and there are 4 new small
ones from last summer.

So now we have 18 and the larger fish are "doing their thing"
again, so probably more are on the way.

I'm really surprised that they all survive the winters.

At what point do we need to do something, and what do we do?

Are most people able to give them away to friends or pet shops?

Jerry