Old 09-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Jerry Donovan

Default Too Many Goldfish

I am curious what people do when their pond is over populated.

A couple years ago, we put in one of the small ponds that is
sold at Sam's Club. It is two level and has about 150 gallons,
with a small water fall and a bubbler. It has a variety of plants.
Placing it up by our patio on the back of the house has
allowed us to really enjoy it.

Before we knew better, we added a 16 small goldfish to the pond.
They were only $0.25 a piece and we figured that we would lose
some. Well, we did lose a couple, but now we have 14 of them
that are about 4 inches to 6 inches long, and there are 4 new small
ones from last summer.

So now we have 18 and the larger fish are "doing their thing"
again, so probably more are on the way.

I'm really surprised that they all survive the winters.

At what point do we need to do something, and what do we do?

Are most people able to give them away to friends or pet shops?

Jerry

Old 11-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Mike Reed

"Jerry Donovan" wrote in message
I am curious what people do when their pond is over populated.

Might I suggest quickly sautéing them in butter and serve with lemon sauce.
Of course, I'm just joking - Tartare sauce is much better. ;-)

Mikey!!

Old 12-05-2003, 12:56 AM

How many is two many?
Give then to some one who is starting a pond.
Put an add in the paper give them to the kids in school.

Have a May fair

Old 12-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Sam Hopkins

Give them to a pet store. Now's a good time because pond owners are in full
swing and they'll be able to sell them fast. Some might even swap you
product for them.

Did you know that the goldfish is the #1 sold pet each year? CRAZY.

Old 12-05-2003, 05:32 AM
bern

"Jerry Donovan" wrote in message ...

Are most people able to give them away to friends or pet shops?

I used to drain the pond every fall and sell the fingerlings to the
local pet store as feeder fish in exchange for fish food.

Old 14-05-2003, 01:32 AM
WH

OK, other than draining the pond, is there an easier way of catch them ...
they're pretty fast little blighters
--WH

om...

Old 16-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

Jerry Donovan wrote:
[...]

I first added another pond and then another. Now I'm trying
to give the fish to anyone with a pond ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ