Old 09-05-2003, 02:32 PM

Default moving asparagus

In article , ncstockguy wrote:
OK I moved 'em. Thanks for the advice. They are now in a much
sunnier place. Hoping they shoot up some great big asparagus stalks,
maybe next year. Fresh asparagus..mmmm hmmm.

I put mine in the sunniest part of my garden. We got 2 weeks
harvesting and the plants are now approaching 7 feet. I have to fence
them in to keep them from falling over in the rest of the garden. Last
year I left the canes on after frost hit, but considering the mild
winters we have here I thing it would be best to cut them off after they
turn brown. One website said they would help keep the snow cover to
protect the roots. Chuckle. I figure the damp dead canes probably are
a place for disease and insects to breed.

"Cheryl Andrassy" wrote in message .com...
it should be ok to move the roots.

make sure you dig up all the roots if you cut some it will be ok the more
roots the better. you may lose some growth but they should regrow
"ncstockguy" wrote in message
om...
It's been three years now and my asparagus is still tiny. It
obviously is in a bad location, probably way too much shade. Can I
move it now? Is it likely to survive? If not now, what is the best
time to dig the roots and transplant. The shoots on these plants are
only about one foot tall with stalks about like grass stems.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)