Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Gregory Young

Default Water temp question

Lee - A chiller could be used, but they are expensive to purchase and run
(have one for my reef tank). The fish will survive without one, as long as
there is good aeration (as the oxygen carrying capacity of water, poor as it
is compared to air, decreases with rising temperature.)
Rich - I have always stopped feeding my Koi when the averaged water temp.
hits 85 degrees.
Do you feed them above this? If so, have you noted any problems??
Happy ponding,
Greg

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Lee,

Waterfalls would increase evaporation and give you the most cooling that

you
could get naturally. But with the high dew points, you won't be able to

get
that much cooling. The only other way that I know to get the temperature
down would be by artificial means, kind of reverse what I do in the winter
(called heating). Cooling by some form of heat exchanger to an air
conditioner, or water chiller might work, but it would be expensive, and I
don't know if it would be absolutely necessary. By August my pond
temperatures reach close to 90, and the only side effect that I have seen

is
the fish being more active and more hungry.
--
RichToyBox

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
RTB, we're talking Sunny Florida here. The dew point is usually

enormously
high. Mad has higher day-temps than I do (out there in the desert), but

she
also has cooler nights. Last night, it went all the way down to a chilly

76
degrees (voice dripping in sarcasam), from a high of 90. When I got

home
last night, the water temp was 84; this morning it was 80. I have to try
*some*thing to cool it down a bit! Any ideas?

Lee

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Lee,

I think direct sun acts as a solar water heater and the thinner the

water
layer over the liner, the more heat that you would expect from the

sun.
The
biggest factor would be the wet bulb temperature. The wet bulb

temperature
is also referred to as the dew point. If the pond temperature is

warmer
than the dew point, then it will evaporate like a cup of steaming

coffee
and
evaporation equals cooling. If the pond temperature is cooler than

the
dew
point, then you will get condensation from the air, and the pond will

warm
toward that dew point temperature. Mad will have higher temperatures

than
you do, but I would bet that her pond will stay quite a bit cooler

than
yours.
--
RichToyBox

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
While some of the folks up North are still wondering if they can

feed
their
fish yet, my water temp is in the mid-80's. The air temp is

threatening
reach the 90's this week. The pond only gets full sun from about

11-4
o'clock (at this time of year), so I guess I need to make some kind

of
sun
shade to shield the pond. The shade cloth I was looking at is rated

by
"UV
Protection"; in other words, it will shield 50%, 80% and 100% UV. I

can
shade the pond without bothering the plants (which are all in the
waterfall
area, not the pond where the fish are - which is plantless).

Therefore,
total (100%) blockage of UV will not hurt my plant life. But which

is
best
for the fish? Should I go for the density of the 100%? Also, which

has
the
most influence on the water temp: direct sun or air temp?

Thanks for your input.

--
Lee B.
See my Zone 9 a/b ponds at: