Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
~ jan

Default How many KOI to add at once?

On Wed, 07 May 2003 20:11:19 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

It is suggested that you add 2 fish at a time, wait two
weeks and then add another 2 fish. But the latest info
is that you should have 1000 gallons for the first koi and
another 100 gallon per each additional fish.

I can't remember who came up with this formula, and I do think it is a good
one for newbies with no clue about filtration. Otherwise, according to KHA
teachings, filtration is the deciding factor over pond size. Granted the
more you crowd into a small space the less growth and more problems one
potentially can have. Small koi in 1,000 gallons is no problem, as they
grow you thin them out just like planting carrot seeds. ;o) Keep the best
ones.

Also another bit of info - the fish should be held in
quarantine so that you know they are healthy before you
add them to your pond. It's much easier to treat a
quarantine tank that to treat an entire pond.

Yup, yup, yup! ~ jan )

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~