Old 07-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Jeff Spicoli

Default How many KOI to add at once?

How many 3" KOI can I add to a 1000 gallon pond at once? This is a new pond
which has been treat and has new plants and proper filtration.

I do not want to shock the level in the water by adding too many at once?

Thanks!

--
Post ads w/ photos for FREE! Dealers welcome.
http://VehicleSeek.com
Old 07-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Jeff Spicoli wrote:
How many 3" KOI can I add to a 1000 gallon pond at once? This is a new pond
which has been treat and has new plants and proper filtration.

I do not want to shock the level in the water by adding too many at once?

Thanks!

It is suggested that you add 2 fish at a time, wait two
weeks and then add another 2 fish. But the latest info
is that you should have 1000 gallons for the first koi and
another 100 gallon per each additional fish.
Also another bit of info - the fish should be held in
quarantine so that you know they are healthy before you
add them to your pond. It's much easier to treat a
quarantine tank that to treat an entire pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
~ jan

On Wed, 07 May 2003 20:11:19 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

It is suggested that you add 2 fish at a time, wait two
weeks and then add another 2 fish. But the latest info
is that you should have 1000 gallons for the first koi and
another 100 gallon per each additional fish.

I can't remember who came up with this formula, and I do think it is a good
one for newbies with no clue about filtration. Otherwise, according to KHA
teachings, filtration is the deciding factor over pond size. Granted the
more you crowd into a small space the less growth and more problems one
potentially can have. Small koi in 1,000 gallons is no problem, as they
grow you thin them out just like planting carrot seeds. ;o) Keep the best
ones.

Also another bit of info - the fish should be held in
quarantine so that you know they are healthy before you
add them to your pond. It's much easier to treat a
quarantine tank that to treat an entire pond.

Yup, yup, yup! ~ jan )

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 09-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Sam Hopkins

MAN 3" fish in 1000 gallons? Probably a ton. Especially if you have plants.
Any ammonia/nitrites that get produced will be sucked up by the plants.

Sam

46...

Old 10-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Nedra

Seriously, I think at 1,000 gallons you should maybe add
only 3 .... They will grow so fast!!

Nedra

.. .

Old 12-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Jeff Spicoli

"Nedra" wrote in news:zZWua.64608$4P1.5842891
@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net:

Seriously, I think at 1,000 gallons you should maybe add
only 3 .... They will grow so fast!!

Nedra

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
MAN 3" fish in 1000 gallons? Probably a ton. Especially if you have
plants. Any ammonia/nitrites that get produced will be sucked up by the
plants.

Sam

"Jeff Spicoli" wrote in message
46...
How many 3" KOI can I add to a 1000 gallon pond at once? This is a new
pond which has been treat and has new plants and proper filtration.

I do not want to shock the level in the water by adding too many at
once?

Thanks!

--
Post ads w/ photos for FREE! Dealers welcome. http://VehicleSeek.com

Thanks all!

I added 3 little butterfly koi. They seem happy. I will soon post a link to
my pond photos.. It has been a fun project and I am happy with the results.

Also, two frogs found their way to the pond already....