Old 09-05-2003, 10:32 PM
V_coerulea

Default Japanese Maple-in a pot?

We grow a number of maples in 7-10 gal pots including dissectum varieties.
They stay out year-round. To be sure, here in SC they are not likely to
freeze solid. But, in some winters, we get particularly nasty spells where
temps stay at or below freezing for several days or temps plunge to 10-15
before recovering to 40 or 50 during the day. I know the soil has frozen a
couple of inches inward and the plants don't seem to suffer at all. Maybe
the key is that they don't stay frozen for too long. Our dissectums are 3'
tall and 5' wide in 7 gal decorative molded black containers. Our others are
palmatum varieites in 10 gal containers and are about 6-8' above the
container and 5-6' wide. Oure soil here is too dry and sandy to enjoy these
plants otherwise. Besides, they make incomparable accents on the deck or
front entry and the appropriate season and they moved to a better site as
the temps heat or cool.

"Pam" wrote in message

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:42:44 GMT, Pam wrote:
TOM KAN PA wrote:

How long could a Japanese Maple tree be grown in a pot? I know it

will
eventually have to be planted in the ground, but we're not sure where

we want
it to permanently.

Depends on the cultivar of maple - some are very suited to container

culture and
can remain in a pot indefinitely. Most of my maples are grown in

containers. If
the pot is large enough to accomodate the tree and its root growth -

many years.

pam - gardengal

What do you do during a zone 6 winter? I'd love to have a Japanese
Maple on my patio.

Swyck

I dunno - I'm not in zone 6 :-)) Seriously, container grown plants will

need winter
protection in colder climates. You need to insure the soil in the

container does not
freeze. Either the use of a pot big enough to prevent that from happening,

wrapping
the pot to provide additional insulation or moving the pot to a protected

location
should work. Keep the pot well hydrated during the winter, too, but not

overly wet.

pam - gardengal