Old 27-04-2003, 09:44 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default Japanese Maple-in a pot?

How long could a Japanese Maple tree be grown in a pot? I know it will
eventually have to be planted in the ground, but we're not sure where we want
it to permanently.

Old 27-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Valkyrie

I've had one in a pot on my balcony for 5+ years and it's doing just fine,
was loaded with blossoms this spring too.

http://photos.yahoo.com/valkyriemi

Val

Old 29-04-2003, 01:32 AM
David J. Bockman

Well, here's one that is over 100 years old, donated by Prince Takamatsu,
now residing at the National Bonsai & Penjing Musuem, US National Arboretum:

http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/japan/japan52.htm

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On 27 Apr 2003 20:25:19 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

How long could a Japanese Maple tree be grown in a pot? I know it will
eventually have to be planted in the ground, but we're not sure where we

want
it to permanently.

About 200 years, according to some labels in a Bonsai exhibit. :-) I
know this is no help, but I couldn't resist.

Old 29-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Pam

TOM KAN PA wrote:

How long could a Japanese Maple tree be grown in a pot? I know it will
eventually have to be planted in the ground, but we're not sure where we want
it to permanently.

Depends on the cultivar of maple - some are very suited to container culture and
can remain in a pot indefinitely. Most of my maples are grown in containers. If
the pot is large enough to accomodate the tree and its root growth - many years.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-04-2003, 03:44 PM

as others have said. nearly forever. I would say, start with a smaller species that
is slow growing. mine been outside in a container for 3 winters now, north side of
my greenhouse protected from high sun and wind. I have a sneaking suspicion it has
rooted down thru the hole in the bottom to the ground. I need to transplant it soon
to a better and prettier pot of some kind. Ingrid

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

How long could a Japanese Maple tree be grown in a pot? I know it will
eventually have to be planted in the ground, but we're not sure where we want
it to permanently.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:44 AM

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:42:44 GMT, Pam wrote:
TOM KAN PA wrote:

How long could a Japanese Maple tree be grown in a pot? I know it will
eventually have to be planted in the ground, but we're not sure where we want
it to permanently.

Depends on the cultivar of maple - some are very suited to container culture and
can remain in a pot indefinitely. Most of my maples are grown in containers. If
the pot is large enough to accomodate the tree and its root growth - many years.

pam - gardengal

What do you do during a zone 6 winter? I'd love to have a Japanese
Maple on my patio.

Swyck
Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 PM

my palmatum dissectum is in a pot. it isnt protected. it freezes solid. no
problem. Ingrid

Seriously, container grown plants will need winter
protection in colder climates. You need to insure the soil in the container does not
freeze.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 09-05-2003, 10:32 PM
V_coerulea

We grow a number of maples in 7-10 gal pots including dissectum varieties.
They stay out year-round. To be sure, here in SC they are not likely to
freeze solid. But, in some winters, we get particularly nasty spells where
temps stay at or below freezing for several days or temps plunge to 10-15
before recovering to 40 or 50 during the day. I know the soil has frozen a
couple of inches inward and the plants don't seem to suffer at all. Maybe
the key is that they don't stay frozen for too long. Our dissectums are 3'
tall and 5' wide in 7 gal decorative molded black containers. Our others are
palmatum varieites in 10 gal containers and are about 6-8' above the
container and 5-6' wide. Oure soil here is too dry and sandy to enjoy these
plants otherwise. Besides, they make incomparable accents on the deck or
front entry and the appropriate season and they moved to a better site as
the temps heat or cool.

TOM KAN PA wrote:

How long could a Japanese Maple tree be grown in a pot? I know it

will
eventually have to be planted in the ground, but we're not sure where

we want
it to permanently.

Depends on the cultivar of maple - some are very suited to container

culture and
can remain in a pot indefinitely. Most of my maples are grown in

containers. If
the pot is large enough to accomodate the tree and its root growth -

many years.

pam - gardengal

What do you do during a zone 6 winter? I'd love to have a Japanese
Maple on my patio.

Swyck

I dunno - I'm not in zone 6 :-)) Seriously, container grown plants will

need winter
protection in colder climates. You need to insure the soil in the

container does not
freeze. Either the use of a pot big enough to prevent that from happening,

wrapping
the pot to provide additional insulation or moving the pot to a protected

location
should work. Keep the pot well hydrated during the winter, too, but not

overly wet.

pam - gardengal

Old 12-05-2003, 02:08 PM
LeeAnne

I am in Zone 5 north of Boston and for the winter my Japanese Maple goes in
my 'outer cellar' - it doesn't get below freezing in there - I water it,
maybe once during the winter and then I pull it out and start getting it
used to the warmer weather when it starts getting buds on it. This was the
second over winter for it and it looks great this year too.

I think it's just cold enough for it to go dormant.

LeeAnne