Old 09-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Phisherman

Default Rose bushes at Home Depot

On 09 May 2003 20:08:07 GMT, (Mceezee) wrote:

I was in Home Depot this afternoon - they had some rose bushes advertised for
$3.97 - I almost picked one up but wasn't sure about the "quality" of these
rose bushes - I have had other "cheap" ones in the past that didn't make it.
These were fully guaranteed up to one year though. I still may go back and
purchase one this weekend.

It's a good price. Roses should be planted when they are dormant and
planting them is all about preparation. Pick up a yellow bag of Kow
Manure ($4). Roses are heavy feeders. If your winter is harsh, pile
lots of leaves on the bush in late fall to keep it from freezing out
then remove the leaves in early spring. I use fish emulsion, cow
manure, and compost, alternating every three weeks during the growing
season. I bought three rose bushes at HD in 1995 and they are over
10 feet high and they are currenty loaded with buds.