Old 10-05-2003, 04:32 AM
animaux

Default Trees for deep shade (beech?)

Where in zone 8 are you? This matters.

On Fri, 9 May 2003 12:48:29 -0700, "waters" wrote:

Seeking advice for a large tree that will cast very deep shade. Will be
planted in USDA 8/ Sunset 10. Currently considering a Beech (Fagus
orientalis or F. sylvatica). Have already planted several oaks (obvious
candidate) in my backyard, but would like something different for the front.
The tree will be between my house and the street (~60ft), and will hopefully
be prunable to clear traffic when it gets large enough (any experience with
a beech in this regard?).

About the darkest casting shade trees locally planted are fruitless
mulberrys, which do grow fast, though they are literally planted in every
other front yard. Oh, the monotony!

FYI: Having very good luck with a quercus lobata, despite it not being
listed for my (sunset) zone. Hope others in zone 10 give the tree
consideration.