Old 09-05-2003, 09:08 PM
waters

Default Trees for deep shade (beech?)

Seeking advice for a large tree that will cast very deep shade. Will be
planted in USDA 8/ Sunset 10. Currently considering a Beech (Fagus
orientalis or F. sylvatica). Have already planted several oaks (obvious
candidate) in my backyard, but would like something different for the front.
The tree will be between my house and the street (~60ft), and will hopefully
be prunable to clear traffic when it gets large enough (any experience with
a beech in this regard?).

About the darkest casting shade trees locally planted are fruitless
mulberrys, which do grow fast, though they are literally planted in every
other front yard. Oh, the monotony!

FYI: Having very good luck with a quercus lobata, despite it not being
listed for my (sunset) zone. Hope others in zone 10 give the tree
consideration.

Old 10-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Dan

wrote:

Seeking advice for a large tree that will cast very deep shade. Will be
planted in USDA 8/ Sunset 10. Currently considering a Beech (Fagus
orientalis or F. sylvatica). Have already planted several oaks (obvious
candidate) in my backyard, but would like something different for the front.
The tree will be between my house and the street (~60ft), and will hopefully
be prunable to clear traffic when it gets large enough (any experience with
a beech in this regard?).

PEE-CANZ If I was in zone 8 I'd jump on pecans in a heartbeat.

Dan

Old 10-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

waters wrote:

Seeking advice for a large tree that will cast very deep shade. Will be
planted in USDA 8/ Sunset 10. Currently considering a Beech (Fagus
orientalis or F. sylvatica). Have already planted several oaks (obvious
candidate) in my backyard, but would like something different for the front.
The tree will be between my house and the street (~60ft), and will hopefully
be prunable to clear traffic when it gets large enough (any experience with
a beech in this regard?).

About the darkest casting shade trees locally planted are fruitless
mulberrys, which do grow fast, though they are literally planted in every
other front yard. Oh, the monotony!

FYI: Having very good luck with a quercus lobata, despite it not being
listed for my (sunset) zone. Hope others in zone 10 give the tree
consideration.

My 30 year old standard sized Granny Smith casts shade dark as night at
midday.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:08 PM
waters

animaux wrote:
Where in zone 8 are you? This matters.

In NW Arizona. Kingman to be precise.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:44 AM
gregpresley

Hi waters?, generally conifers do better in dry climates than deciduous
trees. Maybe you should consider a dense conifer as your deep shade tree
rather than a beech. There are some large growing junipers and cypresses
that might fill your needs, or even something like a Douglas Fir, which
might be faster growing. I think you said you had some oaks already - but
oaks and beeches are among the slowest growing trees. If you are set on a
deciduous tree and don't need to garden directly under it, you might
consider a Norway maple. These are invasive in the east, but that same
tenacity might make them a good candidate for your climate - (they are
widely planted in the dry inland Northwest). Here they are fairly fast
growing - you might have a decent amount of shade from one in 5 years from a
7 foot sapling bought in a nursery.
If you are anywhere near a water source, such as a little creek or spring,
you could plant a poplar. They are VERY fast growing and very large trees,
they cast a dense shade, and they are hardy to just about any condition in
the west as long as they can get water to their roots. (Just don't plant
them anywhere they can get into your sewer or water lines).
"waters" wrote in
In NW Arizona. Kingman to be precise.

[IMG] code is On

Hanging Basket Plants for Deep Shade Loki Gardening 1 17-03-2006 11:56 PM
Vine for deep shade? Jenny Gardening 9 31-08-2004 02:10 PM
How deep is too deep? Andrew Burgess Ponds 22 02-06-2004 03:13 AM
plant/ground cover deep shade kate Gardening 0 03-06-2003 06:32 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM