Old 10-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Squash growing

On Sat, 10 May 2003 05:58:50 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

Jayne said:

Can I grow squash in a container? I want to plant some Patty Pan squash &
wondered if they'd grow in a container if I tied them up a cane wigwam?

Summer squash can be grown in a container (a BIG container).

I believe that most summer squash varieties are bush-type plants, so
they will not need a support.

There seems to be an amazing number of half-wine barrels available this
year. Every time I've gone to a garden center this spring I end up smelling
musty spoiled wine. (Is this just a local phenomenon?) In any case, these
would be big enough to grow a pair of summer squash plants, maybe.

They're charging (IIRC) $22.95 for each half-wine-barrel
around here. I'd like to have two on our front porch (for
flowers), but I'm not paying THAT price. Not even anything
close to it.

Pat