Old 10-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Simon Avery

Default Duck's Nest Found

(roadwest) wrote:

Hello roadwest

r I've had the builders in recently to work on the roof and
r whilst putting up the scaffolding my father noticed a nest
r underneath a shrubbed area by my front door. We counted
r about 5-6 pale white eggs (large) which seemed camuflaged by
r old leaves and the odd feather. The nest has otherwise been
r undisturbed.

About 1.5 times a hens egg size? Most likely a ducks nest as you've
guessed.

r Even though I've never seen any near my property and I'd
r like to confirm it's a duck's nest, and most importantly, if
r they're likely to return. I know very little about their
r habbits so any info would be greatfully appreciated, thanks.

Sad to say, ducks are amongst natures most stupid creatures,
especially the males. The females too won't win any intelligence
awards, choosing nesting sites with gay abandon and lack of sense.
Once hatched the ducklings are just as dull, getting trapped in
anything and anywhere. Surprising that any survive at all, really.

That said, they can be very amusing to watch them going through their
daily lives (apart from the males habit of raping anything that moves,
occasionally drowning females in the act) and the ducklings are
absurdly cute.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/