Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 PM
roadwest

Default Duck's Nest Found

I've had the builders in recently to work on the roof and whilst
putting up the scaffolding my father noticed a nest underneath a
shrubbed area by my front door. We counted about 5-6 pale white eggs
(large) which seemed camuflaged by old leaves and the odd feather. The
nest has otherwise been undisturbed.

Although the front garden is small, it is hemmed in by bushes, a fence
and a gate which is always shut! Save for the postman, the small
enclosed area is never occupied normally and the lane is pretty quiet.

There is a pond in the field behind the cottage about 75-100m away
where I occasionally hear ducks and it was suggested that these were
duck eggs since they'd been seen on the lane.

Even though I've never seen any near my property and I'd like to
confirm it's a duck's nest, and most importantly, if they're likely to
return. I know very little about their habbits so any info would be
greatfully appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Martin Sykes

"roadwest" wrote in message
om...
shrubbed area by my front door. We counted about 5-6 pale white eggs
(large) which seemed camuflaged by old leaves and the odd feather. The
nest has otherwise been undisturbed.

I had ducks (mallard) eggs in a nest by my old pond but they were a pale
green colour. I don't know about other ducks but maybe goose eggs would be
more likely?

Martin

Old 09-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Anthony E Anson

Ducks' eggs are generally pale blue or pale green.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains these words:

I had ducks (mallard) eggs in a nest by my old pond but they were a pale
green colour. I don't know about other ducks but maybe goose eggs would be
more likely?

I think he might have mentioned the size of them in that case.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:08 AM
ogglet

Moscovy duck egs are whte (and so are a few others), slightly bigger than
"Hen" eggs. The duck will return & lay until 14 or so eggs are in the nest
(if its a Moscovy) They will hatch in approx 1 month. However Moscovies are
notorious for laying infertile eggs (No Male), But the female will sit on
them nontheless for a month before giving up.

If you see a male & female (look the same) then you will be in for an
entertaining month or two.

ogglet

Old 10-05-2003, 12:32 AM
david

"..... but maybe goose eggs would be more likely?...."

Don't you think a Goose would be rather obvious in a small front garden?

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 10-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Martin Sykes

"david" wrote in message
"..... but maybe goose eggs would be more likely?...."

Don't you think a Goose would be rather obvious in a small front garden?

Yes, but then I imagine so would a duck.

Tony also wrote:
I think he might have mentioned the size of them in that case.

I guess I over snipped the original post, but the eggs *were* described as
large in the original post.

The original post also said there were feathers in the nest so maybe they
would help identify the culprit?

Martin

Old 10-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "david" contains these words:

"..... but maybe goose eggs would be more likely?...."

Don't you think a Goose would be rather obvious in a small front garden?

Might be a snow goose. Look outside - 'sno goose out there...

Old 10-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "david" contains these words:

"..... but maybe goose eggs would be more likely?...."

Don't you think a Goose would be rather obvious in a small front garden?

Not if the garden contained an enormous beanstalk.

But seriously, large ground-nesting birds can be masters at not being
seen during nesting time. You would hardly imagine broody peahens can
conceal themselves easily, but ours did.

Janet