Old 10-05-2003, 04:20 PM
simy1

Default Bamboo in Southern Indiana?

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I've been somewhat intrigued by bamboo since I was
a little guy. It seems like it has so many uses,
from eating, to fishing rods, to piping in remote
areas.

So the question is, how well does it grow in
southern Indiana? We live in Bloomington, Indiana
which is about 50 miles SSW of Indianapolis. We
have heavy clay soil.

Input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

Almost certainly you can grow Phyllostachys nuda, one of the best
eating bamboos. As all Phyllostachys, this thing runs so plant away
from property borders. It is a medium size bamboo (tops at 15ft). You
may be able to grow some of the bigger (timber) phyllostachys. There
is a nursery in Oregon which gives temperature ranges for their
bamboos. Mulch heavily (at least 6 inches) to help them in the winter,
and to make your clay soil more acceptable to bamboo.