Old 09-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Jim

Default Bamboo in Southern Indiana?

I've been somewhat intrigued by bamboo since I was
a little guy. It seems like it has so many uses,
from eating, to fishing rods, to piping in remote
areas.

So the question is, how well does it grow in
southern Indiana? We live in Bloomington, Indiana
which is about 50 miles SSW of Indianapolis. We
have heavy clay soil.

Input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

Old 10-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Travis

Jim wrote:
I've been somewhat intrigued by bamboo since I was
a little guy. It seems like it has so many uses,
from eating, to fishing rods, to piping in remote
areas.

So the question is, how well does it grow in
southern Indiana? We live in Bloomington, Indiana
which is about 50 miles SSW of Indianapolis. We
have heavy clay soil.

Input would be appreciated.

Try looking at www.bamboopeople.com and click on the sources page.
Also go to www.americanbamboo.org and find the chapter closest to you.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 10-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Steve

An interesting fact I read in a National Geographic magazine many years ago
so I assume it is true. Bamboo may only bloom once about every 100 years,
and when it does bloom, that species, wherever it is will bloom all over the
world. Wild!

Old 10-05-2003, 04:20 PM
simy1

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I've been somewhat intrigued by bamboo since I was
a little guy. It seems like it has so many uses,
from eating, to fishing rods, to piping in remote
areas.

So the question is, how well does it grow in
southern Indiana? We live in Bloomington, Indiana
which is about 50 miles SSW of Indianapolis. We
have heavy clay soil.

Input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

Almost certainly you can grow Phyllostachys nuda, one of the best
eating bamboos. As all Phyllostachys, this thing runs so plant away
from property borders. It is a medium size bamboo (tops at 15ft). You
may be able to grow some of the bigger (timber) phyllostachys. There
is a nursery in Oregon which gives temperature ranges for their
bamboos. Mulch heavily (at least 6 inches) to help them in the winter,
and to make your clay soil more acceptable to bamboo.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Vox Humana

"Jim" wrote in message
I've been somewhat intrigued by bamboo since I was
a little guy. It seems like it has so many uses,
from eating, to fishing rods, to piping in remote
areas.

So the question is, how well does it grow in
southern Indiana? We live in Bloomington, Indiana
which is about 50 miles SSW of Indianapolis. We
have heavy clay soil.

Input would be appreciated.

There is a bamboo nursery just north of Cincinnati. If we can grow it here,
you can grow it in southern Indiana. Here is link. You might contact them
and/or visit. They are only a few minutes from Paramount's King's Island.
http://www.burtonsbamboogarden.com/

Old 11-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Tegan

"Jim" wrote:
how well does it [bamboo] grow in southern Indiana? We live in
Bloomington, Indiana which is about 50 miles SSW of Indianapolis.
We have heavy clay soil.

Jim: I'm in Wisconsin - zone 4 to 5, so even a little colder than
where you are. There are a couple of *clumping* bamboos that will
grow up here. I haven't ordered any yet, myself, but I think I'm
talking myself into it for this year, even though I don't know where
I'm going to put it. In addition to the two links the other responder
provided, there is a newsgroup devoted to bamboo - if your ISP doesn't
have it, find it via Google's Groups: Rec.gardens.bamboo.

Good luck, have fun!

Tegan
Old 12-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Jai

Hah! Will it grow in Southern Indiana!!? The question is, once you get it
started, can you ever stop it?? I'm in Columbus, Ohio, and have a grove of
bamboo that's downright scary.

The phyllostachys nuda mentioned in an earlier response is actually a good
choice. It is fairly well-behaved for a running bamboo. I've had mine for
about 6 years now. It does try to escape from its bed every spring but is
easily restrained by mowing down the new shoots.

I would avoid phyllostachys aureosulcata (yellow-groove bamboo). It has
proved to be utterly rampageous, stopping at nothing and spreading unlike
anything I've ever seen in the plant kingdom. I spent many, many hours last
fall, with axe and mattock, trying to dig the worst of the runners out of
the lawn. The back yard looked like giant, rabid, mutant gophers had been
chewing through it when I was done, and it's still springing up this year.
I've actually had nightmares in which it takes over the neighborhood and I'm
cited by the EPA for unleashing an environmental hazard.

That said, both bamboos are pretty jaw-dropping stuff. Both are taller than
the telephone wires now, and they're green all winter. They are growing in
heavy clay soil and in shade. I never mulch, fertilize or water them, and
they're totally healthy. Nothing discourages this stuff. Bamboo is popular
here in the cow-town; lots of homeowners seem to be growing it. I got my
bamboos from Burt Associates Bamboo, www.bamboos.com, based in
Massachusetts. Good company; nice stock, good selection.

Happy bambooing! -- Jai in Columbus (ps, love Bloomington!)

Old 12-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Vox Humana

"Jai" wrote in message
m...

I would avoid phyllostachys aureosulcata (yellow-groove bamboo). It has
proved to be utterly rampageous, stopping at nothing and spreading unlike
anything I've ever seen in the plant kingdom. I spent many, many hours

last
fall, with axe and mattock, trying to dig the worst of the runners out of
the lawn. The back yard looked like giant, rabid, mutant gophers had been
chewing through it when I was done, and it's still springing up this year.
I've actually had nightmares in which it takes over the neighborhood and

I'm
cited by the EPA for unleashing an environmental hazard.

Did you install a root barrier when you panted it. If not, why?