Old 10-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default help identify this groundcover

In article ,
Archimedes Plutonium NOdtgEMAIL wrote:
I have begun to wonder what this groundcover is. It grows profusely in
shaded
areas underneath trees. In South Dakota nearby to Iowa. It has a sort of
roundish
leaf and almost a perfect circle only lobes around the circle. It has a
purple-blue
flower and makes such a nice appearance that from a distance it looks
like a
field of irises. In fact some of my irises in bloom look like these
patches of this
groundcover.

Strange irises you've got there.

It's Glechoma hederacea, aka ground ivy, creeping charlie, creeping jenny,
gill over the ground, and lots of other folk names. It's in the mint family.
It's an invasive European weed. It's really hard to control. I sometimes
see a variegated form sold for hanging baskets. I think it favours compacted
heavy soils.