Old 10-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default help identify this groundcover

I have begun to wonder what this groundcover is. It grows profusely in
shaded
areas underneath trees. In South Dakota nearby to Iowa. It has a sort of
roundish
leaf and almost a perfect circle only lobes around the circle. It has a
purple-blue
flower and makes such a nice appearance that from a distance it looks
like a
field of irises. In fact some of my irises in bloom look like these
patches of this
groundcover.

The groundcover is so low to the ground that the mower does little harm
it. I consider it an asset and not a weed.

Anyone know what this groundcover is? It grows in shady patches under
trees
in my lawns.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 10-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
Archimedes Plutonium NOdtgEMAIL wrote:
I have begun to wonder what this groundcover is. It grows profusely in
shaded
areas underneath trees. In South Dakota nearby to Iowa. It has a sort of
roundish
leaf and almost a perfect circle only lobes around the circle. It has a
purple-blue
flower and makes such a nice appearance that from a distance it looks
like a
field of irises. In fact some of my irises in bloom look like these
patches of this
groundcover.

Strange irises you've got there.

It's Glechoma hederacea, aka ground ivy, creeping charlie, creeping jenny,
gill over the ground, and lots of other folk names. It's in the mint family.
It's an invasive European weed. It's really hard to control. I sometimes
see a variegated form sold for hanging baskets. I think it favours compacted
heavy soils.

Old 10-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Beverly Erlebacher wrote:

Strange irises you've got there.

It's Glechoma hederacea, aka ground ivy, creeping charlie, creeping jenny,
gill over the ground, and lots of other folk names. It's in the mint family.
It's an invasive European weed. It's really hard to control. I sometimes
see a variegated form sold for hanging baskets. I think it favours compacted
heavy soils.

I hope it is as durable as knotweed. I love knotweed for pathways so I don't
get muddy boots. And I rather have this ivy groundcover to mow than to
be mowing brome-grass. I wonder if I can get this groundcover ivy to take
over my brome grass patches.