Old 11-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Alan Gabriel

Default Gooseberry Sawfly

Can anyone recommend a spray to kill Gooseberry Sawfly caterpillars?

I have a Standard gooseberry grafted on to a 4` rootstock, that produces a
heavy crop of large sweet gooseberries (can anyone hazard a guess at the
variety?).

Every year it`s consumed by Gooseberry Sawfly caterpillars. My son and I
pick of as many as we can find on a daily basis but last year we were away
for a few days and, on our return, found the plant defoliated.

I don`t generally like spraying stuff on things I`m going to eat but I seem
to remember a product called `Pickit` that killed caterpillars but was safe
to eat after a couple of days.

Is this product still available or is there an alternative anyone could
recommend?

Fruit doesn`t always get washed as I tend to browse whilst pottering in the
fruit & veg garden.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.