Old 11-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Alan Gabriel

Default Gooseberry Sawfly

Can anyone recommend a spray to kill Gooseberry Sawfly caterpillars?

I have a Standard gooseberry grafted on to a 4` rootstock, that produces a
heavy crop of large sweet gooseberries (can anyone hazard a guess at the
variety?).

Every year it`s consumed by Gooseberry Sawfly caterpillars. My son and I
pick of as many as we can find on a daily basis but last year we were away
for a few days and, on our return, found the plant defoliated.

I don`t generally like spraying stuff on things I`m going to eat but I seem
to remember a product called `Pickit` that killed caterpillars but was safe
to eat after a couple of days.

Is this product still available or is there an alternative anyone could
recommend?

Fruit doesn`t always get washed as I tend to browse whilst pottering in the
fruit & veg garden.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Alan wrote in message
[...]

There is an organic spray you can use that consists of a fungus that when
eaten by caterpillars growns inside them and kills them.
It only consumes/kills caterpillars, nothing else.
Can't remember the name though but the packet I bought was a "Bio" product.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 13-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message
There is an organic spray you can use that consists of a fungus that when
eaten by caterpillars growns inside them and kills them.
It only consumes/kills caterpillars, nothing else.
Can't remember the name though but the packet I bought was a "Bio"

product.

Thanks, I`ll have a look.

Old 13-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Brian Watson

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message
There is an organic spray you can use that consists of a fungus that

when
eaten by caterpillars growns inside them and kills them.
It only consumes/kills caterpillars, nothing else.
Can't remember the name though but the packet I bought was a "Bio"

product.

A solution of quassia chips in water, ISTR.

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old 13-05-2003, 06:44 AM
anton

Steve Harris wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Alan Gabriel) wrote:

Standard gooseberry grafted on to a 4` rootstock

Is that stem an important highway for the Sawfly? Glue band?

Nope- it's a sawfly i.e the parent flies.

--
Anton

Old 13-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Alan wrote in message
There is an organic spray you can use that consists of a fungus that

when
eaten by caterpillars growns inside them and kills them.
It only consumes/kills caterpillars, nothing else.
Can't remember the name though but the packet I bought was a "Bio"

product.

Thanks, I`ll have a look.

Just found the old packet.... Bio BT. caterpillar killer. contains Bacillus
thuringiensis. var. kurstaki.

I wonder if the EU has effectively banned this too? There seems to be
almost nothing left on the chemicals shelf at the GC these days for veg
growers.

Old 15-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Rod

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

Just found the old packet.... Bio BT. caterpillar killer. contains Bacillus
thuringiensis. var. kurstaki.

iirc B. t only kills Butterfly and Moth caterpillars - keep on hand picking, it gets easier when you get wise to their
camouflage methods. Just seen the first ones on ours today
;~(((

Rod

Old 15-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Alan Gabriel

"Rod" wrote in message

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Just found the old packet.... Bio BT. caterpillar killer. contains

Bacillus
thuringiensis. var. kurstaki.

iirc B. t only kills Butterfly and Moth caterpillars - keep on hand

picking, it gets easier when you get wise to their
camouflage methods. Just seen the first ones on ours today
;~(((

I can keep them under control by hand picking them, it`s just that if I go
away they get out of hand. My youngest son is showing an interest in
gardening and he helps me pick them off. His eyesight is better than mine
(

The bush is heathy enough and cropping well, it just look `orrible with moth
eaten leaves (excuse the pun).

Anyone care to have a stab at the variety? There can`t be many grown as
standards. It must be a desert variety as the berries are large and sweet.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Pine sawfly? [email protected] Gardening 7 11-11-2007 01:17 AM
Gooseberry Sawfly Rod United Kingdom 2 29-06-2005 10:55 AM
Apple sawfly question Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 05:03 PM
Apple sawfly question Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 04:18 PM
Rose sawfly Paul Richards United Kingdom 3 17-06-2003 10:56 AM