Old 11-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Jim Sullivan

Default Lawns & Mowers: Bag CuT Grass or Let it Fall?

"KEVIN M QUINLEY" wrote in message
Which is better for a residential lawn -- a lawn mower that "bags" the cut
grass or one that "mulches" it to return to the lawn itself?

Is there a consensus about which is better -- bag the cut grass or let it
drop back onto the lawn?

Since the purpose of a mulching mower is to keep the nutrients in the grass
with the lawn, a mulching mower is best, in my humble opinion. Most people
over fertilize their lawns, in search of a bright green. This isn't to say
I don't like a nice green lawn (and I've had these lawns in the past, right
now I'm in a new home and I'm getting the lawn back into shape), but I
dislike spending extra money to cause the grass to grow so I can bag it and
carry it to the curb on Tuesday Night :-).

Personally, I like to have the option to bag when necessary (some of the
heavy spring cuts need to be bagged) and when to mulch (all other times).

--
Jim Sullivan