Old 11-05-2003, 06:44 AM
B & J

Default The bee balm from hell

"Dan" wrote in message
The bee balm has been transplanted from my strawberry patch for 3
YEARS, and EVERY spring it re-appears, easily choking the
strawberries. I had originally planted the bee balm in the protected
(fenced-off) area so deer wouldn't get it, but it has become a major
pain. Anyone who plants monarda / bee balm near strawberries is
asking for serious trouble (even worse than what ground ivy does).

Dan

It's possible to get rid of bee balm (monarda) by getting out your spading
fork and literally digging up and sifting every bit of soil where it's
growing. (You'll also have to take out the strawberries.) I had to do that
when I planted an innocent 4" pot of it in a fertile, well watered area.
Even if you do this, any overlooked root will sprout and restart the cycle
if you aren't vigilant and immediately dig it up. Bee balm is a member of
the mint family, and many mints are aggressive growers. My spearmint, which
we use in tea, is now grown in a pot, and the monarda is planted in an area
where the rocks prevent it from going anywhere except up. Monarda can be an
unwelcome house guest that has no manners.

John

John